Yeast-free bread made with baking soda and buttermilk is delicious and can be made quickly, without waiting for the dough to rise. We’ll share our favorite recipe.
Yeast is a type of fungus and is often used in the kitchen as a leavening agent in baking. You can find yeast in pizza dough, bread, rolls, cakes, or other baked goods. However, not all baking requires yeast: it is possible to make bread without yeast by using different leavening agents like baking soda or baking powder instead.
There are plenty of reasons to bake yeast-free bead. Some people simply don’t have the patience to bake with yeast, others have problems digesting it. The symptoms of yeast intolerance are very similar to those of gluten intolerance. They may include stomach problems, rashes, headaches, coughs, colds, and sore throats.
We’ll show you a recipe for bread without yeast, where the leavening agents are baking soda and buttermilk. We’ll also explain how to make a dairy-free buttermilk substitute so vegans can enjoy this bread too.
Delicious Yeast-Free Bread Recipe
In order to make this tasty yeast-free bread, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- ½ tbsp. bread spice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups buttermilk
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- Make vegan buttermilk by mixing 2 cups of plant-based milk with two large tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Let it stand for 15 minutes and it’s ready to use.
- You can also substitute 2 cups of spelt flour for an extra vitamin boost.
How to Bake Buttermilk Bread With Baking Soda
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
- Mix the flours, baking soda, salt, and bread spice in a large bowl.
- Add the buttermilk and mix until a sticky dough forms.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and sprinkle the sunflower and flax seeds on top of the dough.
- Gently roll and fold the dough a couple of times — DO NOT KNEAD!
- Shape the dough into a ball, flatten the top with your hand and score it with a deep cross.
- Dust the bread with a small bit of flour, place it on a lined baking tray, and pop it in the oven.
- Bake the yeast-free bread for approximately 30 minutes — the loaf should be golden brown when finished. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
Try out your loaf with butter, jam or a tasty vegan spread.
This article has been translated from German by Karen Stankiewicz. You can view the original here: Brot ohne Hefe backen: Rezept für frisches Brotaffiliate links: If you buy here, you actively support Utopia.org because we get a small portion of the proceeds.
Do you like this post?