Make your own homemade pesto using a variety of vegetables in just a few simple steps. We’ll show you the right ingredients and recipe to whip up a delicious pesto all on your own.
Churning out a good homemade pesto doesn’t always mean using store-bought or freshly picked vegetables from your home garden. Having a crack at this Italian vegetable sauce yourself is a great way to use up leftovers and wilted greens before they go bad, thus saving them from heading straight for the dumpster. You’re not just saving money – you’re also playing your part in the fight against the widespread problem of food waste.
Basic Ingredients for Homemade Pesto
You can use a wide range of vegetables when making your own homemade pesto. You’ll need the following (organic!) ingredients:
- 1/3 cup seeds or nuts – e.g. pine nuts or hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup olive oil, canola oil or germ oils
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup raw vegetables or herbs such as wild garlic, basil or paprika.
- 1 tablespoon of salt and a pinch of pepper
If you want it spicy, try adding some radish to your homemade pesto – including the green leaves. Carrot greens also add taste and would otherwise find their way into the garbage.
You can of course adjust the added amounts of these ingredients according to your own personal taste. Remember to add a crunchy base ingredient and parmesan to ensure the pesto retains its classic consistency. Garlic, salt and pepper lend it its distinct flavor with the oil serving as the flavor carrier.
Once you’ve gathered all your ingredients, it’s off to work!
DIY-Pesto: Here’s how it’s done in 5 easy steps
- Peel and press the garlic or cut into small pieces and combine into a small powder.
- Wash the vegetables and herbs, dry and remove any remaining stalks or roots.
- Without using oil or butter, roast the seeds and/or nuts in a pan at low heat and set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Using a food processors or blender, mix together the vegetables, seeds, parmesan and oil. Then add the garlic and mix.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste and voilá! You just made homemade pesto!
- 6 Unhealthy Foods to Cut from your Shopping List
- Cracking the Secret to the Perfect Hard- or Soft-boiled Egg
- Edible Flowers: Which Are Safe, How to Use?
This text was translated from German into English by Evan Binford. You can view the original here.