HappyCow is the world’s largest vegan and vegetarian restaurant guide and authority on vegan-options in over 180 countries. Now celebrating its 20th anniversary this year, the much-loved platform has revealed the results for its annual ranking of the top 10 vegan-friendly cities in the world.
The HappyCow top ten list is determined by three factors: the number of vegan restaurants in a 5-mile radius in the most vegan restaurant-dense area in each city, the number of vegan / vegetarian / veg-option restaurants in the same 5-mile radius, and the HappyCow team’s impression of the overall vegan-friendliness of each city.
Topping HappyCow’s list for the second year in a row is London, which was the first city on HappyCow to surpass 100 vegan restaurants in 2017. London currently has 124 vegan restaurants in a five-mile radius within the city.
According to the results which can be seen here in full, the top ten vegan friendly cities are:
- London – Unlike other cities, the London vegan restaurant explosion continued throughout 2019. London was the first city on HappyCow to surpass 100 completely vegan restaurants in 2017, and presently has 125 vegan restaurants in a five-mile radius within the city, and 152 fully vegan restaurants citywide. The number of vegans quadrupled from 2014–18; in 2018 there were approximately 600,000 vegans in the UK, equivalent to 1.16% of the British population. Veganism continues to become a mainstream lifestyle in London, and this city takes veganism to a new level.
- New York – the “scene continues to flourish, boasting 111 vegan restaurants in a five-mile radius”
- Berlin – “The number of vegan restaurants within a five-mile radius has grown to an astounding 62”
- Los Angeles – “A vegan mecca, boasting 49 fully-vegan and another 190 vegetarian and vegan-friendly restaurants in a five-square mile area”
- Toronto – “The number of vegan offerings in this city continues to increase by the week”
- Warsaw – 50 vegan restaurants now in a five-mile radius, most of those within just a one-mile radius
- Portland – “Veganism and plant-based eating are an integral part of Portland’s social fabric”
- Bangkok – which is the only new city to enter the list in 2019
- Tel Aviv – with the highest number of vegans globally
- Prague – in the top five of most vegan restaurants per capita in the world
“Veganism continues to become a mainstream lifestyle in London, and this city takes veganism to a new level,” stated Ken Spector, co-author of the article, and a principal and spokesperson for HappyCow. The only city to be added to the top ten this year was Bangkok, Thailand, in the eighth position which has seen a rapid increase in the number of vegan offerings the past few years, with 74 vegan restaurants currently listed on HappyCow in this bustling city.
- Study Shows 90% of Plant-Based Consumers are Neither Vegetarian Nor Vegan
- Vegan Christmas Cookies: Two Simple Recipes
- Vegan Spreads: DIY Dairy Free Spreads with Only 2 Ingredients
Subscribe for the vegconomist-newsletter and regularly receive the most important news from the vegan business world.
*The article "HappyCow Reveals Top Ten Vegan Friendly Cities in the World" was first published on vegconomist.com and as such the Utopia Online editorial team is not responsible for its substance. Furthermore the Utopia Online editorial team has neither reviewed nor edited said content. Contact the author here.** Links to retailers are partially affiliate links: If you buy here, you actively support Utopia.org because we get a small portion of the proceeds.
Do you like this post?