You can easily clean your oven with natural home remedies – saving you money and being a healthier option than a lot of chemicals. Probably you even have these products at home already: Salt, baking powder (or baking soda) and lemon – it does not take more to get rid of tough stains in your oven.
While you are busy baking and cooking sometimes leftovers splash and remain in the oven. If you do not remove them immediately, they will bake on. Nevertheless, you do not need chemical cleaning foams and sprays to get your oven looking shiny again. The following natural home remedies will clean your oven and baking tray(s) just as good as more harmful products!
Baking powder or baking soda as a natural home remedy for a clean oven
To get a baking powder paste as cleaning agent you mix three teaspoons of baking powder with three tablespoons of water. The paste should have a creamy consistency and not be too watery. You can also use baking soda in a 1:1 ratio with water.
Now use the paste as follows:
- Put the paste on the encrustation and leave it on for approximately 30 minutes (depending on the strength of the encrustation leave the paste on for longer or apply it a second time)
- The baking soda starts to react in combination with the water and the acid of the encrustation
- Carbon dioxide is set free and loosens the stains
- After 30 minutes you can remove the baking powder from the oven
- Wipe your oven with a wet cloth and the encrustation will be removed.
Clean your oven with salt
For this cleaning method you wipe the bottom of your oven with a wet cloth. Afterwards you sprinkle salt on the stains and encrustation until they are well covered.
- Heat your oven to 50 degrees Celcius (122 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Once the salt has turned brown, you can switch off the oven
- Remove the salt from the oven and wipe the stains off with a wet cloth.
Fresh lemon juice – cleaning your oven as well as absorbing bad odours
Squeeze the juice of a lemon and some water into a baking dish. Put it in your oven and heat it to 120 degrees Celcius (248 degrees Fahrenheit).
- The steam can loosen encrustation throughout your oven
- The lemon loosens greasy stains which you can remove with a wet cloth afterwards
- The benefit of this method is the dual effect: You can not only remove the encrustation, but the citric acid of the lemon also eliminates bad odours in your oven.
(Article originally appeared on utopia.de; translated by Melanie von Daake)