Looking for the perfect way to use seasonal produce this spring? This healthy spring salad recipe is simple and quick to make, perfect for a low calorie lunch!
The following spring salad recipe uses fresh vegetables which are in season in spring. What is a seasonal vegetable? Seasonal vegetables are those which only grow at certain times of year. They may have a lower carbon footprint, as they are grown outside rather than in energy-intensive indoor growing systems.
Different regions of the US have different seasonal spring vegetables. Some examples include:
- Northeast – Asparagus, mushrooms, radishes and spinach
- Northwest – Kale, mushrooms, oregano, spinach, sprouts
- Upper Midwest – Asparagus, mint, spinach
- Midwest – Beets, carrots, parsnips, radishes, spinach
- South – Broccoli, cauliflower, okra, sweet onions
- Southwest – Avocados, cucumbers, snap peas, summer squash, tomatoes, zucchini
If you can, it’s always good to choose organic vegetables for your salads – the pesticides and insecticides used in many commercial farms can be harmful to the environment. You can also try to choose those which have been grown locally, which may be easier if you shop at a local market as opposed to a chain supermarket. When we buy local produce, the carbon footprint is usually lower as the product doesn’t travel too far to get to our plate.
Finally, before selecting your produce you may also want to consider packaging. If you choose vegetables which aren’t packaged in plastic, you can easily reduce waste.
Healthy Spring Salad Recipe
- 1 bunch of asparagus, cut into segments
- A few bunches of green leafy salad vegetables (such as rocket, kale and baby lettuce)
- 1 avocado, diced, with seed removed
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 sliced tomato
- 2 radishes, sliced
- Grated carrot
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup basil
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
1. Cook the asparagus by placing it in boiling water for about a minute, or until tender. Drain.
2. To make the salad, wash the green leafy salad vegetables and mix in a bowl with the cooled and dried asparagus. Sprinkle the diced avocado, spring onions, sliced tomato, radishes and grated carrot on the top.
3. For the dressing, pulse the dressing ingredients together in a food processor and drizzle over the salad as desired.
- Avocado Mango Salad Recipe
- What Is a Plant Based Diet? Definition and How It’s Different From Vegan
- How To Freeze Asparagus: Preserving The Spring Vegetable
Do you like this post?