All-natural homemade oven cleaners will leave your oven sparkling clean, save you money and are a much safer option than conventional chemical-based methods. You probably have some of the ingredients for this DIY oven cleaner at home already: salt, baking powder (or baking soda) and lemon – these together with a bit of elbow grease will rid your oven of tough stains and grime.
While you’re busy baking and cooking in the kitchen, you may not catch every single oven spill and splash. If you don’t wipe these messes clean immediately, things can get tricky. They will continue to bake along with your dishes: some will crisp over, others will evaporate leaving behind a not so pleasant stain. Here’s the good news: you don’t need professional-grade chemical cleaning foams and sprays to get your oven looking shiny again. The following all-natural homemade oven cleaners will scrub your oven and baking tray(s) squeaky clean just as thoroughly as any potentially harmful chemical-based alternative!
1. Baking Powder or Baking Soda
For our first homemade oven cleaner recipe, you’ll need to mix three teaspoons of baking powder with three tablespoons of water into a paste. The paste should have a creamy consistency and should not be too watery after mixing. You can also use baking soda instead of baking powder. Just mix the baking soda with water in a 1:1 ratio.
Now that you’ve mixed all ingredients together, you’re ready to put your DIY oven cleaner into use. Apply the baking powder paste as follows:
- Apply the paste onto the affected areas of your oven and let it soak in for approximately 30 minutes (leave the paste on for longer or apply it a second time depending on the severity of the mess).
- The baking soda will begin to react with the water and the acid of the encrustation.
- Carbon dioxide is set free and loosens the stains.
- After 30 minutes, remove the baking powder from the oven.
- Wipe your oven clean with a wet cloth to get rid of the grime.
2. Clean Your Oven with Salt
For this DIY oven cleaning method, wipe down the bottom of your oven with a wet cloth. Then sprinkle salt on the stains and grime until well covered. After that, follow the below steps:
- Heat your oven to 122 °F.
- Once the salt has turned brown, switch the oven off.
- Remove the salt from the oven and wipe the stains off with a wet cloth.
3. Fresh Lemon Juice – Cleans and Eliminates Odors
For this natural oven cleaner recipe, add some lemon juice together with water into a baking dish. Put it in your oven and heat it up to 248°F.
- The resulting steam helps to loosen encrusted stains and grime throughout your oven.
- The lemon dilutes greasy spots and stains which you can easily wipe off with a wet cloth afterwards.
The benefit of this DIY oven cleaner method method is twofold: You do not only remove grime, crud and stains from the walls of the oven; the citric acid of the lemon also eliminates any remaining unpleasant odors.
- Descale Kettles Naturally: The Best Household Remedies
- Clean Tiles Naturally: The Best Household Remedies
- Unclog Your Drain Without Harmful Chemicals
This article was translated and adapted from German by Melanie von Daake. You can view the original here: Backofen reinigen: Diese Hausmittel wirken besser als Chemie.underlined orange are partially partner links: If you buy here, you actively support Utopia.org, because we will receive a small part of the sales proceeds. More info.
Do you like this post?