The following home remedies for flies are all-natural and free of harmful chemicals. We’ll show you how to keep house flies away with your own natural fly repellent.
If a fly lands on your sandwich, it’s not only annoying but also unhygienic. Who knows where that fly’s been before? Flies love to lay their eggs on food, garbage, compost and even animal waste. During its three-week lifespan, a housefly can lay up to 1.000 eggs – time enough for one pest to become a plague. We’ll show you how to prevent an outbreak in the first place, as well as how to use natural home remedies to keep flies at bay.
First Home Remedy for Flies: Natural Fly Repellent
There are specific scents that insects do not like. Use this aversion to your advantage to keep flies away.
Try these two home remedies for flies:
- Plant a scented barrier: Tomatoes, lavender, geraniums, and basil all produce odors that neither flies nor mosquitoes like. If you plant these on your balcony, terrace, or window boxes, you create a kind of natural scent barrier that keep the nuisances outside.
- Essential oils: If you’ve got a black thumb or plants are simply too much work, you can achieve the same effects with essential oils or scented sachets. Place a few drops of lavender or eucalyptus oils in an oil burner or drizzle them onto a sachet to immediately send both flies and other annoying insects packing.
Do not Attract Flies – Get Rid of Them
It’s better to keep flies from coming into your home in the first place, then to prevent them from multiplying. Aside from the home remedies for flies mentioned above, there are a number of easy preventative measures you can take:
- Half-empty juice glasses, cans of soda and any open food items are irresistible to flies. Therefore, ensure that nothing is stored out in the open – especially in summer.
- Rotting fruit is a breeding ground for flies because of its high moisture content. After laying their eggs inside, it can take less than eight hours at room temperature for the first larvae to appear. Therefore, always check your fruit bowls for signs of rot and remove these fruits immediately.
- Especially in the warmest seasons, it’s important to empty your trash bins more often. Invest in a trash can that seals tightly to keep flies out entirely.
Home Remedy for Flies: Build a Fly Trap
If you are unable to control the situation with the preventative measures above, there ist another home remedy for flies you can try: Build yourself a natural fly trap with things you’ve got around the house.
For a sticky trap, you need:
- a few inch-wide pieces of sturdy newspaper
- some honey
- a paintbrush
- a holepunch
To build your fly trap:
- Punch holes at the top end of the paper strips and string them along one single piece of string (so that you can later hang your fly trap on the wall).
- Carefully paint honey evenly onto the paper strips. Make sure that the honey is applied thinly enough so that it doesn’t drip. The flies will be attracted by the sweet scent and will remain stuck to the strips.
We hope you’ve enjoyed these home remedies for flies and been successful in getting rid of house flies.
- Homemade Window Cleaner: DIY Glass Cleaner for a Streak-free Shine
- Homemade Oven Cleaner: 3 DIY Methods Better Than Chemical Cleaners
- Removing Mold: An Informative How-to Guide
This article was translated from German into English. You can view the original here: Fliegen vertreiben: die besten Hausmittel gegen Stubenfliegen.affiliate links: If you buy here, you actively support Utopia.org because we get a small portion of the proceeds.
Do you like this post?