All of us hard at work on our computers most of the day should really know how to clean a clean a computer screen properly. Here’s how to keep your monitor clean and smudge-free.
Display monitors, laptop screens or desktop monitors all need a proper cleaning once in a while. Within a matter of days, computer screens begin to accumulate dust and smudges. If you’re in a hurry and don’t know how to clean your monitor the right way, you may easily leave some unsightly scratches behind. We’ll show you how to clean your computer screen properly.
How to Clean Your Computer Screen Properly
What’s a high-resolution computer screen really worth if you can’t see those pixels under all the fingerprints, smudges and dust buildup? Research how to clean your high-end computer screen or display monitor and you’ll find a limitless supply of chemical concoctions and special cleaning products to choose from. But what if all you needed was a few simple household ingredients?
We’ll show you how to clean your computer screen or display monitor the right way with these simple household hacks:
- Microfiber cloths are very soft and clean without scratching. In addition, choose a good microfiber cloth and you’ll need little to no cleaning agents. The best way to remove dust is to wipe down your screen from top to bottom. Circular movements only spread the dirt more.
- A damp cloth works better for more heavy-duty cleaning.
- But how do you clean the corners and inside edges of your computer screen? Well, you can try a cotton swab for hard-to-reach places, however a tissue should work as well. You may have to wipe down the edge areas once more afterward as tissues often leave behind their own fibers.
- How often? Clean your computer screen once a week with a clean microfiber cloth and you can prevent worse stains.
Prior to cleaning your computer screen, be sure to unplug your PC or laptop to avoid electric shocks!
Good to know: Microfiber cloths are made of polyester and release microplastics into the water when washed down the drain. Therefore, you should only use them when there’s no better cleaning option and wash them carefully.
Gentle Cleaning Solution for Computer Monitors: Tips on How to Clean
For stubborn dirt, dust buildup and smudges, you may need more than just a microfiber cloth. Utopia will show you how to clean your computer screen properly with your own homemade cleaning solution. For this you’ll need:
- distilled water (it’s particularly “gentle” as it doesn’t contain limescale) Here’s how it’s done: How to Distill Water: A Step by Step Guide.
- pure white vinegar
Combine the two liquids in a ratio of 1:1, spray the solution onto a dry cloth and gently wipe down the screen. Important: Never spray the solution directly onto the monitor!
Utopia’s Tip: How to Clean Your Phone: Keeping it Clean and Germ-Free
How to Clean Your Monitor: Mistakes to Avoid
Before you get to work cleaning your computer monitor, you should consider the following:
- Never hold your cleaning cloth directly under running water! Only slightly dampen it before wiping down your monitor. It absolutely matters how wet your cleaning cloth is when you clean your computer monitor as too much moisture could seep into the screen resulting in short circuits.
- Do not use cleaners with an alcohol or ammonia base. These chemical agents are much too aggressive and can damage the protective layer of the computer monitor.
- Glass cleaners, scouring agents or polish are also unsuited to the task at hand as they commonly cause streaks.
- Kitchen towels, kitchen sponges or cleaning cloths are too rough to clean computer screens with. These will often leave behind scratches and small fibers or fluff.
- You should also avoid trying to remove coarse dirt particles with your fingernail. You are practically guaranteed to leave behind scratches this way.
This article has been translated from German to English by Evan Binford. You can view the original here: Bildschirm reinigen: Monitor schonend mit Hausmitteln putzen.** Links to retailers marked with ** or underlined orange are partially partner links: If you buy here, you actively support Utopia.org, because we will receive a small part of the sales proceeds. More info.
Do you like this post?