Sweat smells are stubborn and you can’t always remove them from your clothing by simply washing them in cold water. Let us show you how to get the sweat smell out of clothes with three different household remedies.
1. Get Sweat Smell out of Clothes With Vinegar
Bacteria are responsible for the smell of sweat, but vinegar helps fight the bacteria. Here’s how to use vinegar to get the sweat smell out of your clothes:
- Fill a large bowl half full with warm water and add a glass of vinegar.
- Then put your smelly laundry in the bowl and let it soak for an hour.
- Wash your clothes in the washing machine as usual.
Tip: This simple method also removes sweat stains from clothes! The vinegar trick works especially well with dark or colorful clothes since it keeps the colors looking vibrant.
2. Use Citric Acid to Clean Sweaty Clothes
The benefits of using citric acid** to clean your laundry are twofold: Not only will it get the sweat smell out of your clothes, but it also bleaches yellow sweat stains. That’s why you should only use citric acid for white laundry.
- Fill a large bowl half full with warm water and add four teaspoons of citric acid per four cups of water.
- Then put your stinky laundry in the bowl and let it soak for an hour.
- Afterward wash your laundry in the washing machine as usual.
3. How to Get Sweat Smell out of Clothes: Use Washing Soda
You can use washing soda** for colored, dark or white laundry to get rid of sweat smells. This is how it’s done:
- Fill a bucket with about a gallon of water and add a tablespoon of washing soda. Leave the mixture to steep for half an hour.
- Then put your clothes in it, stir once and leave overnight.
- The following day, drain and wash your clothes in the washing machine like you normally would.
Please Note: If you use washing soda to get the sweat smell out of colored clothes, it can bleach them slightly – so use it carefully.affiliate links: If you buy here, you actively support Utopia.org because we get a small portion of the proceeds.
Do you like this post?