Here’s how to remove superglue without using heavy chemicals. It does not matter if it’s your clothing, skin, or work surface – these remedies will get the glue off in no time.
What Removes Superglue? Heat
Trying to figure out how to remove superglue from a work surface? All you’ll need is your hairdryer.
- Wait until the superglue has hardened.
- Use the hairdryer to heat the affected area. Blow the hot air on the superglue in short intervals, to make sure that you don’t accidentally burn the surface.
- Once heated, you’ll be able to remove the superglue easily.
Warning: Consider carefully what material your surface is made of before removing glue with heat. If your surface is painted or made of plastic, this isn’t the solution for you. If it is made of wood, be sure that the hot air doesn’t blow onto one place for too long, to avoid burning.
How to Remove Superglue from Textiles: Oil
What removes superglue from clothes? Any kind of cooking oil that you happen to have in your kitchen will do the trick.
- Pour a bit of the oil onto the affected area. Massage the oil into the textile and let it sit.
- After several minutes the glue will become soft and you can simply scrape it off with your fingers.
- Rinse the textile immediately with soap and water to remove the oil.
Tip: This method also works well for carpets. Work the oil into the affected area and wash out with soap and water after removing the superglue.
Did you know? You can also use olive oil as a natural hair care product.
Superglue on Textiles: Put Them in Your Freezer
Not only heat, but also the cold is effective at removing superglue.
- Place the affected piece of clothing into the freezer for several hours.
- Pull the superglue off.
- Wash the clothing in the washing machine.
How to Remove Superglue from Skin
Superglue on your hands or skin can be uncomfortable. Be gentle when using this method to prevent damage.
- Massage a few drops of oil onto the affected area.
- Let the oil soak in for several minutes.
- Clean your skin with warm water and soap.
Note: Did you get superglue on your eye or mouth area? Then consult your doctor immediately.
Use Caution with Acetone
If you search on the internet for remedies that remove superglue, you are likely to find acetone listed as an effective solution. But because the vapors that acetone gives off can cause headaches, nausea and dizziness, we recommend using acetone only as a very last resort, if none of the less caustic methods have worked for you.
This article has been translated from German to English by Christie Sacco. You can read the original version here: Sekundenkleber entfernen: So löst du ihn von der Haut, Kleidung oder Oberflächenaffiliate links: If you buy here, you actively support Utopia.org because we get a small portion of the proceeds.
Do you like this post?