Spicy vegan birria tacos are crispy and full of flavor, they are made with mushrooms instead of meat, and vegan mozzarella cheese. We’ll show you how to make these tasty tacos.
Birria is a kind of spicy Mexican stew traditionally made with mutton or goat meat and served in tortillas which are dipped in a flavorsome broth, or consommé and then fried on both sides to make them crispy. Birria tacos are served with cheese, onions, lime, and fresh cilantro, they’re a popular dish at parties and wedding receptions.
To make vegan birria tacos, just substitute the meat for shredded oyster mushrooms or jackfruit and use vegan mozzarella cheese. The birria filling is cooked in the consommé, it then serves as a dip for the birria tacos after they’re cooked. Check out how to make these tangy vegan tacos.
How to Make Delicious Vegan Mushroom Birria Tacos
Yield: 12 tacos
- 2 dried guajillio chillies
- 1 dried pasilla chili
- 3 dried California chilies
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 large white onion, quartered
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. whole cumin
- 1/8 tsp. allspice
- 3 whole cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 lbs. oyster mushrooms
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella shreds
- Chopped cilantro
- Diced onion
- Lime wedges
- Deseed the chills and soak in hot water for thirty minutes.
- Place the garlic cloves and quartered onion on a baking tray and drizzle with one tablespoon of vegetable oil. Roast in the oven until golden brown (about 20 minutes on low heat).
- To make the birria filling, tear the mushrooms into large pieces and put them in a large mixing bowl. Coat with the garlic powder, salt, apple cider vinegar, and two tablespoons of vegetable oil. Mix, cover, and chill for an hour.
- To prepare the consommé, use a blender to combine the roasted garlic and onion, the soaked chilies, cinnamon, pepper, one cup of vegetable stock, dried oregano, cumin, allspice, cloves, and two tablespoons of vegetable oil. Pulse until smooth.
- Put the consommé in a saucepan with the bay leaves and the rest of the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low heat for an hour. Remove the bay leaves.
- Heat two tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large frying pan and add the marinated mushrooms and fry until they start to crisp. Then pour in two cups of the consommé and stir. Cook for five minutes.
- Next, prepare the tacos. Add some oil to a medium frying pan and warm on medium heat. Dip the tortillas into the remaining consommé and then place them in the warm oil. Spread the vegan mozzarella shreds on one half of the tortilla and cover with two tablespoons of the mushroom birria. Fold in half and fry each side until crispy and golden brown.
- Serve with chopped cilantro, diced onion, and sliced lime. Use the remaining consommé as a dip.
Alternative Jackfruit Filling for Birria Tacos
Instead of oyster mushrooms, you can use two 20-ounce cans of jackfruit (rinsed and shredded). Follow the recipe above, except in step three, marinade the jackfruit instead of the mushrooms in the garlic powder, salt, apple cider vinegar, and two tablespoons of vegetable oil, and chill for an hour. Then in step six fry the jackfruit instead of the mushrooms on a medium heat until it goes brown and crispy — this should take about 15 minutes and it is important to ensure the texture is not too soft. Add one cup of the consommé and cook until it starts to thicken and look sticky. Continue with steps seven and eight as above.
- Growing Hot Peppers: How to Care for a Chili Pepper Plant
- Vegan Ground Beef: How to Make Plant-Based Taco Meat
- How To Grow Mushrooms: A Beginner’s Guide
Do you like this post?