Homemade cough syrup made of onion juice and honey, really? Yes! Onions serve as an antibacterial and, in combination with honey, make up an essential ingredient of an effective home remedy for cough. Here’s how it’s done.
Follow these simple instructions to make your own homemade cough syrup from scratch – using onions and honey. The recipe is all-natural and additive free:
- Peel an onion, chop into small pieces and place them in a jar, glass or cup.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of liquid honey over the onions. For vegan homemade cough syrup or when there’s no honey at hand, you can use sugar or other vegan sugar substitutes.
- Let the mixture sit for a period of 6-10 hours or overnight.
- Pour the liquid gathered at the bottom into a separate glass.
- All done! Your homemade cough syrup is ready. Take a spoonful 2-3 times a day.
Homemade Cough Syrup with Onion Juice and Honey, really?
You’re probably asking yourself: “Onion juice in a cough syrup, seriously? Won’t that that taste disgusting?” Surprisingly enough, the taste of this homemade cough syrup is rather palatable and mighty sweet once you add honey or sugar.
Honey and onions really do work as a home remedy against cough – try it for yourself!
All-Natural Cold Home Remedies
Other plants you can use as effective natural remedies for cough are thyme and English plantain (a perennial plant with a rosette of basal leaves and flowering stalks – in the public’s eye: a weed). Thyme works to widen the bronchia, serves as an expectorant and an antibacterial. You can use thyme oil like you would mouthwash for throat pain when sick.
English plantain stimulates the immune system and also possesses a number of antibacterial properties. It also promotes the buildup of the mucus membrane. Place some thyme or English plantain leaves in your tea or boil them down into a homemade cough syrup.
Another ancient cold home remedy is garlic. It may sound like one of your grandma’s old tricks, but eating raw garlic will clear your sinuses more effectively than even wasabi. Read up on this and more natural household cures against colds: Natural Home Remedies for Colds: 6 Easy Recipes.
- Golden Milk: Recipe and Health Benefits of Turmeric Latte
- The Benefits of Ginger Tea: How to Make a Healthy Infusion
- Clogged Ears Remedy: 3 Household Hacks
This article was translated from German by Evan Binford. You can view the original here: Hustensaft selber machen aus Zwiebeln und Honigaffiliate links: If you buy here, you actively support Utopia.org because we get a small portion of the proceeds.
Do you like this post?