Vegetarian stew is warming, hearty and nutritious — perfect for chilly days. We'll explain how to make vegetarian stew all in one pot, using simple ingredients. Easy!
This vegetarian stew is packed full of veggies and herbs. It’s tasty and warming, perfect for those cold days. You’ll love the variety of flavors from the celery, carrot, peas and mushrooms and the creaminess of the tomato broth. It can be served with rice, bread or french fries, making a great family dinner. So — let’s get on to how to make vegetarian stew,
The recipe is entirely vegan and can be adapted to suit your needs. For extra depth, feel free to add your favorite seasonal vegetables like zucchini or pumpkin or even some pasta or quinoa.
Focus on using locally sourced vegetables to reduce your carbon footprint and ensure they are organic if possible. When it comes to herbs, look for fair trade herbs in your local grocery or health food store. Then you’ll be able to whip up this veggie stew in no time. It’s great for dinner, and it’s delicious comfort food. Let’s get started!
You might also like: What If We All Became Vegetarian?
How to Make Vegetarian Stew
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 cup white mushrooms
- 2 cups baby potatoes
- 3 large carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 19-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- small bunch fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp. water
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- Finely dice the onion and garlic cloves and fry in a large pot on medium heat with the olive oil, until the onion is transparent, about three minutes.
- Wash and slice the celery, carrots and mushrooms into bite-sized chunks and wash and halve the baby potatoes. Add all the vegetables to the pot. Mix in the frozen peas and cook on medium heat for two to three minutes. Learn more about why you don’t need to peel carrots.
- Pour in the canned tomatoes and vegetable broth. Then add the Italian seasoning, soy sauce, rosemary, thyme and balsamic vinegar. Slowly increase the heat and bring to a boil whilst stirring. Then reduce the heat to simmer the stew.
- Put the water and cornstarch in a small bowl and mix. Stir into the stew.
- Simmer the stew covered for forty-five minutes until the potatoes are soft, to check this insert a knife into one of them.
- Now you know how to make vegetarian stew! Serve it hot, with a nice thick slice of bread and enjoy!
- 7 Simple Ways to Thicken Up Any Stew
- Lobio Recipe: A Vegan Georgian Bean Stew
- Freezing Carrots: Tips And Tricks
Do you like this post?