Learning how to prepare okra is essential for newbies — the wrong method can leave you with a bunch of slimy green veg. Here are four tested and true ways to prepare okra.
Okra, or ladies’ fingers, are long, pointy green vegetables. They have slightly furry skins and white seeds. When cooked, they have a deep, nutty flavor and soft texture. However, they can become slimy when cooked incorrectly, making it essential to know how to prepare okra properly. Then, you can cook it perfectly every time.
Cook it whole whenever possible to reduce sliminess. Choose small to medium-sized okra to make ut easier to eat whole. Simply chop the stem off the top before preparing. If your chosen green veg is particularly hairy, defuzz it by washing it under running water and scraping it lightly with a scourer or toothbrush. Then, use a dishcloth to pat each one dry.
Another trick to reduce slime is to soak it in vinegar before cooking. To do so, pour half a cup of vinegar for every pound of okra into a large bowl. Allow it to soak for 30 minutes. Before cooking, rinse well and pat dry.
To store okra, wrap it in biodegradable paper towels (available on Amazon**) then place it in biodegradable resealable bags (also available on Amazon**). Cut some holes in the bag to allow air circulation and eat it as soon as possible.
Now you know how to clean and store it, let’s look at how to prepare okra.
1. How to Prepare Okra: Boil It on the Stove
Learning how to prepare okra is easy, especially as you can cook it whole or chopped. Here’s how:
- If the recipe requires chopping, cut off the stems and chop it into 1/2-inch slices.
- Place the slices in a pot and add just enough water to cover. Toss in with a generous pinch of salt.
- Bring the water to a boil and cover.
- Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain well and toss in butter.
- Season with salt and pepper.
2. The Frying Method
Okra fries really well when coated in batter. Follow these simple instructions:
- Cut it into thick chunks and pat dry.
- Dip each piece in batter (ingredients below).
- Deep fry each piece on high heat for 2 to 3 minutes, until both sides are golden brown.
- Place on a biodegradable paper towel (available on Amazon**) to remove the excess oil.
- Serve and enjoy!
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
3. How to Prepare Okra: Roast It in the Oven
It’s really simple to roast okra. You can even save time and unnecessary energy by not preheating the oven. Here’s how to prepare okra in the oven:
- Cut the stems off.
- Roast whole or cut into chunks just over 1/2 an inch thick.
- Arrange the pieces or whole okra on a baking sheet and drizzle olive oil over top.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven and cook at 425°F for 15 minutes, turning halfway through.
4. The Microwave Method
This technique works best with chopped okra. Cut each veg into 1/2-inch chunks. The more evenly cut the better, but don’t spend too much time on it. Then:
- Add 2 tbsp. water to a microwave-safe bowl.
- Add the chopped okra.
- Cover and microwave for 4 to 6 minutes, or until tender.
- Stir halfway through.
- When cooked and tender, drain the water and toss in butter. Season with salt and pepper.
We hope this gave you everything you need to know about how to prepare okra. Happy eating!
- How to Freeze Okra 2 Ways
- Grilled Asparagus in Oven: Easy Recipe
- Are You Still Wasting Time Peeling Carrots? Then Here’s Good News
Do you like this post?