Vegan buffalo chicken dip is virtually indistinguishable from the real thing, believe it or not. Quick to prepare and so delicious, here we outline a simple vegan buffalo chicken dip recipe you should try out at your next social get-together.
So What is Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip?
The original buffalo chicken dip recipe is a tried-and-true combination of cream cheese, buffalo sauce, ranch dressing, cooked chicken…. and even more cheese. A quick little FYI, it does not contain any actual buffalo, instead, all credit goes to the small family-owned restaurant called Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York, where the sauce first originated in the 1960s.
Actual buffalo or not, traditionally the dip is not exactly vegan-friendly (hello chicken and lots of dairy!), but thankfully this little recipe is the perfect substitute and all you need is five key ingredients.
This vegan buffalo chicken dip is the perfect creamy, cheesy, spicy snack ideal that every game day, BBQ, party or movie night deserves. It is just like the classic dip, but even better since it’s much healthier, completely vegan, dairy-free and gluten-free.
Tip: An unbaked dip can be prepared ahead of time and kept in the fridge for up to 2 days, then just bake when you’re ready to serve. Once baked, vegan buffalo chicken dip is also suitable for freezing, just ensure it is placed in an air-tight container and is allowed to cool properly before placing in the freezer.
Making Your Own Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip
As mentioned before, this is a very easy recipe to prepare and few ingredients is all you need:
- 1 ½ cups of shredded vegan chicken (if you don’t want to use faux meat, you could try using thinly sliced cauliflower, shredding some seasoned tofu or even using jackfruit for a similar texture)
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews (you could substitute these with softened sunflower seeds)
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ cup hot sauce (any organic brand will do, but you might want to think about making your own)
- ½ teaspoon onion powder (½ cup of chopped fresh onion will also suffice)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder (or two cloves of freshly chopped garlic)
- Tortilla chips and/or crisp carrot sticks and celery sticks for serving
1. Pre-bake or cook your shredded vegan chicken substitute as per the instructions on the packet. If opting instead for your own cauliflower as a chicken substitute, slice thinly and boil until slightly softened. Whether using any of the above, tofu or even jackfruit, the key thing is to have your chosen chicken substitute firm yet tender before adding to the rest of your dip ingredients later on.
2. If you have a regular blender, you may want to soften the cashews first to ensure they blend smoothly. To do this add the cashews to a small pot, bring to a boil and then cook for 10 minutes until the cashews are soft and tender. Drain and rinse with cold water before using.
3. Add the softened cashews, 1 ½ cups water, hot sauce, onion powder, and garlic powder to a blender, and blend until everything is smooth and creamy.
4. Add your shredded vegan chicken to a medium-sized baking dish, pour your seasoned cashew mixture over the top and then gently stir it all together to combine the ingredients evenly.
5. Then it’s just a matter of baking for around 25 minutes, or until the top has turned a light golden-brown and the dip has been heated right the way through.
- How to Make Hummus Without Tahini: Easy Recipe in 3 Steps
- Non-Dairy Sour Cream: Recipes and Uses
- Cashew Cream Cheese: A Vegan Alternative
Do you like this post?