New Mexico red chile sauce is a staple in cuisine from this area. Our recipe for this celebrated sauce is easy to make and can even be frozen for future use!
Red chile sauce is a staple of the New Mexican and West Texan diets. This recipe for New Mexico red chile sauce is quick and delicious and is the perfect way to use up a bountiful chile harvest at the end of summer. It pairs great with enchiladas, burritos, vegan quesadillas, tamales, or just poured over any Mexican-inspired dish. If you find it to be too mild for your tastes, you can always increase the spiciness by adding more chiles.
If you don’t grow your own chiles and need to buy them from the store, always make sure they are fair trade, and organic or locally produced. This way you ensure you’re getting food that has not only been grown without using artificial pesticides, chemicals, or fertilizers but also that the producers are receiving fair pay and treatment.
How to Make New Mexico Red Chile Sauce
Yield: Makes approximately 3 cups of New Mexico red chile sauce
- 20 dried New Mexico red chiles
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- Set oven to 350 degrees. Roast the chiles until they turn fragrant, approximately 20 minutes. Allow them to cool until you can handle them.
- Take the stems off the pods and shake the seeds into a bowl. Drop the pieces into a strainer and rinse them off.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the chile pods, onion, garlic, and salt. Sauté the onion and chiles for about 3 minutes, until the onion is translucent. Add the seasonings and stir to combine.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 10-20 minutes, until the pods are softened. Remove from the heat and sit for 10 minutes.
- Purée until the consistency is smooth. For an even smoother sauce, you can strain it through a mesh sieve.
This sauce will keep for up to 6 days refrigerated and can be frozen.
- The Big List of Chipotle Vegan Options + What to Order
- Red Pepper Paste: 2 Ingredient Recipe
- Easy Vegan Crock Pot Chili Verde
Do you like this post?