The glowing yellow curcuma drink „golden milk” is said to possess healing properties. Here we’ll show you how to make your own with this golden milk recipe and give you the run-down on all the health benefits the turmeric latte has to offer.
While golden milk (A.K.A. turmeric latte) recipes found elsewhere may vary in the exact contents to a slight degree, golden milk is traditionally made from plant milk, curcuma, ginger and a number of other natural ingredients. Not just a toasty beverage to keep you warm on a brisk winter day, golden milk is also extremely healthy. What else could you ask for during the winter months?
Golden Milk: Health Benefits
For centuries, Ayurvedic teachings have regarded golden milk as a healing, stimulating and cleansing drink. The curcuma – the yellow root used in Indian and Chinese medicine – is a coveted remedy known for its wide range of uses. Combined with other refreshing ingredients, the health benefits of golden milk are enhanced:
- Golden milk is said to serve well as an anti-inflammatory treatment of inflammatory illnesses of the joints. It is also known to minimize pain resulting from cases of chronic inflammation such as arthritis.
- In addition, turmeric latte is known to boost your immune system and prevent illness. This is especially important during the flu season.
- Golden milk functions as an antioxidant active in the prevention of premature aging of the skin.
- This drink might also stimulate proper liver function and support bodily digestive and detox processes.
- Turmeric latte is also rumored to offer long-term health benefits as a mental and physical stimulant. It is said to possess preventive properties against Alzheimer’s disease and work well in treating sleep disorders.
These health benefits attributed to golden milk speak for themselves. Have a go at our golden milk recipe and see for yourself!
Golden Milk Recipe: Ingredients
In order to bring about the optimal stimulating and preventive health benefits of golden milk, be sure to use quality organic products and plant milk free of additives.
For one glass of golden milk, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 ¼ cups plant-based milk (e.g. almond or soy milk)
- One piece of curcuma (approx. ¾ to 1 in. in length) or one tablespoon or curcuma powder
- One piece of ginger (approx. ¾ in.; the more you use, the spicier the drink will be)
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. coconut oil
- 1 pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
- dates or 1 tsp. agave syrup for sweetening
Golden Milk Recipe: Step by Step
Traditionally, the first step in making turmeric latte is to grind the ingredients down into a curcuma paste, which, in a further step, is then mixed into the milk. This is a little bit more work and not entirely necessary. This way’s quicker:
- Pour all ingredients into a mixer and mix together until fine in consistency.
- If the consistency is not fine enough, pour through a strainer.
If you want to retain the most nutrients possible and prefer a raw milk, your drink is done. If you care for warm golden milk, carry on:
- Pour the milk into a pot a bring to a boil.
- Let the golden milk simmer at low heat for around two minutes.
- Foam up the milk with a milk frother as preferred.
If the taste isn’t what you’re used to, add some more warm plant milk to even things out. Next time you try this golden milk recipe, adjust the amounts of curcuma and ginger to your liking.
This article was translated from Germany by Evan Binford. Check out the original here: Goldene Milch: Schnelles Rezept für die volle Wirkung** Links to retailers are partially affiliate links: If you buy here, you actively support Utopia.org because we get a small portion of the proceeds.
Do you like this post?