Mashed potatoes are a delicious, yet easy side dish that goes well with nearly any meal. Learn how to make the best mashed potatoes with no milk for your vegan and dairy-free friends and family.
Mashed potatoes are a classic and well-received side dish commonly associated with Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. Mashed potatoes with no milk are the perfect option if some of your guests are going vegan or are lactose intolerant. On top of that, they are healthier and more sustainable because they don’t contain any animal products. In this article, we’ll show you how to make the best dairy free mashed potatoes that are fluffy, creamy, and delicious — and will have everyone satisfied!
How To Make Mashed Potatoes With No Milk
- 6 medium-large organic potatoes
- 1 and ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp vegan butter or vegan butter substitute
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh chives
- Peel your potatoes. To reduce food waste, you can keep the potato skins in the fridge to make potato peel chips.
- Place your potatoes in a pot, cover them with water, and add a teaspoon of salt.
- Cook at medium-high temperature and bring the potatoes to a light boil. Then let them cook for 30 minutes, until tender.
- Drain your potatoes and transfer them to a bowl. Mash them with a potato masher until they are fluffy.
- Add the vegan butter, garlic, pepper, and a bit more salt. Mix until combined.
- Serve your no milk mashed potatoes topped with fresh chives, and enjoy!
Mashed Potatoes W/ No Milk: Tips & Meal Ideas
Sometimes it can happen that you go overboard when making food and you may end up having leftovers. We always recommend trying to avoid food waste as much as possible, and there’s an easy fix if it happens with this recipe. You can either make one of our leftover mashed potato recipes or you can freeze your mashed potatoes and use them at a later time – because yes, you can freeze potatoes as long as you cook them beforehand!
Your mashed potatoes with no milk can go well with nearly any food. You can pair them up with vegetables and protein-based food to make a whole meal, or you can even top it with a sauce to elevate the dish. Here are a few meal ideas you can make with your dairy free mashed potatoes:
- Top your potatoes with some vegan gravy.
- Make a vegan turkey or a lentil-walnut vegan roast as the main dish to go with your milk-free mashed potatoes.
- Make a homemade tempeh recipe or some tempeh bacon and serve it with some vegetables as well.
- Cook chicken of the woods mushrooms to go with your vegan mashed potatoes.
- If you are missing the cheese flavor in your dairy free mashed potatoes, top them with a vegan cheese substitute before serving.
If you can’t get enough of this recipe, you can also try a different version of it and make healthy mashed sweet potatoes without the milk.
- Potato Water: 4 Ways to Save and Use It
- Is it Dangerous to Eat Raw Potatoes?
- Storing Potatoes: 8 Tips to Keep Them Fresh for Months
Do you like this post?