This agar-agar pudding recipe is sweet like caramel and has a texture similar to Jell-O, but is entirely vegan. Try this Indonesian pudding the next time you’re craving dessert.
You’ll love this sweet, creamy pudding which looks and feels like Jell-O, but is entirely vegan. Agar-agar is a thickening agent made from red algae. While traditional gelatin is made with animal products, agar-agar is vegan-friendly, and is also high in fiber and calcium.
Agar-agar comes in powder or flake form — ensure you use the powder form for this recipe. For extra fragrance, the recipe calls for two pandan leaves, which are removed before the pudding is combined. You can find agar-agar powder and pandan leaves in Asian food stores.
The brown sugar in this recipe gives it a glossy golden color, while the coconut milk adds a creamy layer — the two layers separate during the cooling process. You can use a single mold for the pudding or pour it into separate cups or small molds. Serve as a light dessert by itself or with a dollop of nice cream on top. Alternatively, cut the pudding into small cubes and serve in your bubble tea.
Let’s find out more about how to make an easy agar-agar pudding.
Delicious Agar-Agar Pudding Recipe
Yield: 5 servings
- 1¼ cups brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 5 tbsp. white sugar
- 3⅓ cups water
- 2 knotted pandan leaves
- 1½ tsp. agar-agar powder
- 1 drop vanilla essence
- ⅖ cup coconut milk
- Put the brown sugar, salt, white sugar, a scant cup of the water and the pandan leaves in a medium-sized pot. Boil on a medium-heat until the sugar has dissolved. Remove the pandan leaves and set the mixture aside.
- In a different pan, add the remaining water and the agar-agar powder and stir well. Add the vanilla essence and sugar water mixture.
- Pour in the coconut milk and warm over a low to medium heat until the mixture starts to bubble. Keep warming for fifteen minutes and stir continuously.
- Pour the mixture into a pudding mold and allow to cool. Then place in the refrigerator until completely set.
- To serve, turn out onto a plate and slice into five individual pieces.
- Easy Brazilian Flan Recipe (+ Vegan Option)
- Easy Homemade Gelatin-Free Marshmallow Recipe
- Vegan Yogurt Recipe for a Plant-Based Breakfast
Do you like this post?