This nutty and luscious vegan pecan pie recipe is a delicious treat that everyone can enjoy. Share it with friends, family, or keep it for yourself!
Pecans are native to North America, and their origins can be dated back all the way to the early 1500s. They’re actually one of the most valuable nut species and they are known for their sweet and buttery flavor, accompanied by a mild ‘foresty’ aroma. They have a crispy and crunchy texture, making them an ideal nutty snack. Because of these qualities, pecans are often used in baking and cooking – especially in popular dishes like pecan pie. We’ll show you how to make the perfect vegan pecan pie below. Let’s begin!
Vegan Pecan Pie Recipe Ingredients
For the crust you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp of white granulated sugar
- ½ tsp of salt
- ½ cup of vegan butter
- 1-1½ tbsp ice water
For the filling you will need:
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1¼ cup full-fat coconut milk
- 3 tbsp of vegan butter
- 2 cups of chopped pecans
- ½ cup of coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼-½ tsp fine sea salt
Tip: The full-fat coconut milk should be given a good shake before use. It’s important that the cream mixes well into the liquid for best results, so you may have to warm it slightly if it is too cold. You can also incorporate some vegan whipped cream if you’d like.
Vegan Pecan Pie Recipe Instructions
After you’ve gathered all your ingredients, it’s time to get baking.
- Add your flour, sugar, and salt into a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. After, add the vegan butter and mix until crumbly.
- Add your ice water and mix so it can form into a ball of dough.
- Place the dough in the fridge for an hour. When complete, roll it into a circle suitable for the size of your pie dish.
- Ensure the pie dish has been sprayed with non-stick spray before placing the dough inside.
- Press the dough into the edges of the dish and trim off any excess.
- Place it back in the fridge for later.
- Combine the coconut milk and cornstarch in a bowl and whisk until the mix is smooth.
- On medium heat, melt the vegan butter.
- Add the pecans and toast with the vegan butter for around 30 seconds while stirring continually.
- Add the coconut sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, salt, and coconut mixture and whilst until smooth.
- Let the mixture simmer at a low boil for 2-3 minutes until the liquid thickens.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and pour it into your pre-made pie crust.
- Bake in the oven at 350F for 30-35 minutes, until the crust is lightly browned and the center is bubbling. The filling should appear mostly firm when you jiggle the pie slightly.
Voila! Your vegan pecan pie should be ready to go! For a garnish, you could add some vegan whipped cream or some nice cream.
Pecans are considered to be relatively sustainable, as there is minimal environmental damage during cultivation and processing. However, when pesticides are used, this has negative consequences on soil, air, and waterways.
In order to make the best possible vegan pecan pie, purchase organic pecans – this ensures no chemicals are used to grow and harvest the nuts. You could even purchase these from a local shop if you have one nearby and help out a smaller business.
- Homemade Mulberry Pie Recipe
- How to Make Vegan Puff Pastry: Recipe & Tips
- Iced Dirty Chai Latte: An Easy Vegan Recipe
Do you like this post?