What does fasting one day a week mean and what does it do for your body and health? Read on to learn the benefits of 24-hour fasting.
Fasting one day a week means that you fast once a week, every week. There are different methods that can help introduce you to the practice:
1. Start by deciding on a fixed fasting day in the week. Weekends or days off are typically best, as you will probably not have your usual strength and energy during your fast. Regular walks outdoors or yoga are great exercises during a 24-hour fast — but avoid strenuous exercise.
2. Divide your meals carefully. For example, if you don’t eat anything after 5 pm one day and don’t eat breakfast until after 11 am the following morning, you also fast most of the day. This method is similar to intermittent fasting.
Here are some tips on how to fast one day a week:
- On your fasting day, abstain from food completely. However, drink as much liquid as possible — at least half a gallon. Water or unsweetened herbal teas are great choices.
- Try to eat only light food the day before a 24-hour fast to prepare your body. It will make it much easier.
If you decide to fast regularly, seek medical advice beforehand. Avoid fasting altogether, or only do it under medical supervision, if you are:
- pregnant or breastfeeding
- a child
- living with a chronic disease
Does Regular Fasting Help With Weight Loss?
Fasting one day a week is said to have a positive effect on the body. According to studies, regular intervals of fasting can:
- reduce inflammation
- lower blood pressure
- lower cholesterol
- reduce excess fat
It’s said to act as a shock to the body. The unaccustomed lack of calories triggers a wide variety of cleansing processes and weight loss mechanisms. This includes the removal of dead cells and the activation of fat reserves which are then broken down during the fast. In addition, there is no disturbance of the metabolism, so it doesn’t result in a yo-yo effect.
24-hour Fast Benefits and Usefulness
24-hour fast benefits haven’t been well researched, at least in the scientific sense. Therefore it is unclear to what extent your health can benefit from fasting one day a week. If you still want to give it a try, once a week is a good method. It can be easily integrated into your daily routine, much more so than longer or crash diets. Additionally, fasting is relatively easy to keep up with – you just abstain from food for one day a week.
Fasting often leads you to eat more consciously. Over time, you may find it easier to avoid unhealthy and processed foods. This is why 24-hour fasting and intermittent fasting work well for those who want to change their eating habits. Weight loss through fasting is an added bonus, but should never be the main focus.
Tip: For the most effective results, combine fasting one day a week with a healthy diet and sufficient exercise during the rest of the week!
This article has been translated and adapted from German by Karen Stankiewicz. You can find the original here: Ein Fastentag pro Woche: Was bringt die Diät?underlined orange are partially partner links: If you buy here, you actively support Utopia.org, because we will receive a small part of the sales proceeds. More info.
Do you like this post?