What does fasting one day a week mean? And does it help you lose weight? We’ll explain how this form of fasting works and how useful it is.
There are different methods that can help introduce you to fasting one day a week:
1. Start by deciding on a fixed fasting day in the week. Weekends or days off during the week are typically best as you will probably not have the usual strength and energy during your fast. Regular walks outdoors or yoga are great exercises while you’re fasting – but avoid strenuous exercise.
2. Divide your meals differently. For example, if you don’t eat anything after 5 pm one day and don’t eat breakfast until after 11 am the following morning, you also fast most of the day. This method is very similar to intermittent fasting.
Here are some tips on how to fast one day a week:
- On your fasting day, abstain from food completely. However, drink as much liquid as possible (at least half a gallon) – water or unsweetened herbal teas are good choices.
- Try to eat only light food the day before in order to prepare the body for fasting.
If you decide to fast regularly, seek medical advice beforehand. Avoid fasting altogether, or only do it under medical supervision, if you are:
- pregnant or breastfeeding
- a child
- living with a chronic disease
How Does Regular Fasting Help With Weight-Loss?
Fasting one day a week is said to have a positive effect on the body. According to studies, regular intervals of fasting can:
- reduce inflammation
- lower blood pressure
- lower cholesterol
- reduce excess fat
This diet method is said to act like a shock to the body. The unaccustomed lack of calories triggers a wide variety of cleansing processes in the body. This includes the removal of dead cells and the activation of fat reserves which are then broken down during fasting. In addition, there is no disturbance of the metabolism, so that the fasting day doesn’t produce a yo-yo effect.
Note: So far only animal experiments and clinical studies with few participants have been done. More research is needed to fully explore the effects of fasting.
Fasting One Day a Week: Is It Useful?
Fasting effects haven’t been well researched, at least in the scientific sense. Therefore it is unclear to what extent your health can benefit from fasting one day a week. If you still want to give it a try, once a week is a good method. It is easily integrated into your daily routine, much more so than longer or crash diets. Additionally, fasting is relatively easy to keep up – you just abstain from food for one day.
Fasting often leads you to eat more consciously. Over time, you may find it is easier to avoid unhealthy and processed foods. This is why fasting works well for those who want to change up their eating habits. Weight loss through fasting is an added bonus, but should never be the main focus.
Tip: For the most effective results, combine fasting one day a week with a healthy diet and sufficient exercise during the rest of the week!
This article has been translated from German by Karen Stankiewicz. You can find the original here: Ein Fastentag pro Woche: Was bringt die Diät?affiliate links: If you buy here, you actively support Utopia.org because we get a small portion of the proceeds.