With this gluh gin winter cocktail recipe you can make mulled gin yourself – with fruity juices and wintry spices. We’ve also compiled a list of some variations so you can really make your drink your own.
Mulled wine is a real classic at Christmas and all throughout the winter. But if you want to try something new, you should try mulled gin. It’s not as sweet and sugar-free. You can easily make gluh gin yourself and decide which juices and spices you want to use.
Our gluh gin recipe is very basic, but we’ve added variation ideas so you can tailor this cocktail to your own tastes. We recommend that you use organic ingredients whenever possible. There are good organic gins (like Prairie Organic Spirits) that are more environmentally friendly than conventional products and tend to contain fewer questionable ingredients.
Gluh Gin: Recipe for Cold Winter Days
For two cups of mulled gin you need the following ingredients:
- 6.5 fl. oz. apple juice
- 6.5 fl. oz. fair trade orange juice (or the juice of 2-3 oranges)
- 3 sticks of cinnamon
- 3-4 cloves
- 2 star anise
- 1.5 fl. oz. or more of gin (depending on how strong you want your gluh gin to be)
How to Prepare the Gluh Gin:
- Pour the apple juice in a pot along with the orange juice and spices.
- Let the juice simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes at medium temperature. Don’t let it boil — you just want it to heat up and develop the typical flavors.
- Finally, pour in the gin and scoop out the spices with a strainer.
- Divide the mulled gin between two cups or mugs.
- Garnish the gluh gin with orange slices and cinnamon sticks.
Mulled Gin Variations
- Gluh gin is delicious with apple and orange juice, bur grape juice or grapefruit juice also work. Or how about a gluh gin with pineapple and mango juice? Try out a few variations to figure out your favorite.
- Slice some ginger and add it to the juice. It’ll give the mulled gin a whole new flavor. Plus, you get to enjoy the many benefits of ginger.
- For an extra wintry kick, add a pinch of allspice or some cardamom to the mulled gin.
- If you don’t want to drink alcohol, simply omit the gin and enjoy a fruity spiced punch instead.
This article has been translated from German by Karen Stankiewicz. You can read the original here: Glüh-Gin: Einfaches Rezept für den Winter** Links to retailers are partially affiliate links: If you buy here, you actively support Utopia.org because we get a small portion of the proceeds.
Do you like this post?