Grilled cornbread: the perfect way to finish off this Southern specialty for a crispy treat!
Cornbread is a crumbly bread made from a cornmeal batter. It’s a Southern staple that has origins in Native American cuisine, It traditionally contains a mix of cornmeal, eggs, and oil. But don’t worry, you can use our vegan-friendly homemade Southern cornbread recipe.
In this piece, we will show you how to grill cornbread, what toppings to use, and what to serve with it.
Making Grilled Cornbread
Now, when it comes to grilled cornbread, there are three ways you can do it:
On the BBQ
This involves using cornbread that has already been cooked. Whether you choose to use the above-mentioned vegan cornbread recipe, or make your own, you can easily turn it into grilled cornbread. Here’s how:
- Cut your cornbread into manageable pieces.
- Place on the BBQ and grill on both sides.
- Remove from the heat, and serve.
In a Skillet
You can also bake your cornbread batter in your oven using the grill function:
- Heat your grill to 400°F and set your cast iron skillet into place.
- Melt some vegan butter or oil the skillet.
- Pour the cornbread batter into the skillet and cook until golden (approx. 12-20 mins). Test to see if it’s done using a toothpick – if it comes out clean, it’s ready to go.
- Leave to cool for 10 mins before eating.
Over a Fire
This method is ideal for when you’re camping. You can use your campfire like a BBQ and grill pre-cooked cornbread, or you can use it like an oven, and bake it fresh.
Grilled Cornbread Toppings
One of the most popular toppings for grilled cornbread is jalapeños, honey and butter. In order to make it vegan, use the following instructions:
- Chop your prepared vegan cornbread into squares.
- Mix ½ cup vegan butter with 1 small jalapeño (seeded and diced) and 2 tablespoons agave syrup, or your chosen vegan honey alternative).
- Spread a generous amount on each side and grill.
Other delicious toppings include:
- Caramelized apples and onions: top your vegan cornbread batter in the cast iron skillet with apples and onions to add a lovely caramelized taste to your cornbread.
- Top with greens or other veggies: add your chosen greens, tomatoes, etc to your cornbread batter in your skillet and cook as normal.
Bring out more flavor by adding herbs into or onto the batter
Treat it as you would other bread, for instance focaccia, spread a thick layer of butter or herb enhanced oil on both sides before grilling already prepared cornbread. Alternatively, add chopped fresh herbs like rosemary or chives into your batter recipe before cooking or on top of your batter when cooking in a cast-iron skillet.
Pairings for Grilled Cornbread
Roasted and sautéed veggies or greens are great pairings for grilled cornbread. Bring out the flavor with some salt, pepper, garlic, or onion. Examples include red peppers, brussel sprouts, kale, or spinach. You can also pair it with a hearty vegan chili or stew.
Cornbread can also be served sweet as a dessert or afternoon snack: pair with vegan ice cream or a less sugary jam like raspberry jam or marmalade.
- Quick Buckwheat Bread Recipe: Make it Yourself
- Gluten-Free, Yeast-Free Bread: A Life-Changing Recipe
- How to Clean a Grill Grate: Making Natural Grill Cleaner
- No More Wasted Bread: Discover How to Freeze Bread in a Snap
Do you like this post?