Buckwheat bread is both gluten-free and vegan, plus you only need a few ingredients. If you’d like to try your hand at this rich loaf, we’ve got a quick buckwheat bread recipe for you.
Buckwheat Bread: 6 Ingredient Recipe
Buckwheat bread is a great gluten-free alternative to traditional white loaves. All of the following ingredients are also vegan, which makes this bread even more special.
For a loaf of buckwheat bread, you’ll need the following:
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp. salt
- 3 ½ cups buckwheat flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- a pinch of sugar
- 1 tbsp. olive oil or coconut oil for greasing
With the listed ingredients you can follow a simple buckwheat bread recipe. If you want to personalize it, you can add different ingredients to the dough. Try sunflower seeds, oat flakes, flax seeds, or maybe even cranberries. Consider adding pumpkin seeds or amaranth to the top of the loaf halfway through baking!
Note: If you can, use local and organic ingredients. This way, you’ll avoid many synthetic pesticides and avoid long transport routes.
Baking Buckwheat Bread
The preparation time for this bread recipe isn’t very long. However, you should allow enough time for the chia seeds to properly swell. The bread also needs to bake for at least 45 minutes, as well as cool down before you can eat it.
- Pour the chia seeds into a small bowl and add about ½ cup warm tap water. Let them soak for 30 minutes, then preheat the oven to 425˚F.
- Mix the buckwheat flour with baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Add about 1 ⅓ cup water and the chia seeds and knead everything into a dough, using a food processor, the dough hooks of a stand mixer, or just your hands.
- Grease a loaf pan with oil and pour the dough evenly into the pan.
- Brush the surface of the dough with a little water. If you like, you can also score it and/or sprinkle it with seeds or kernels. Oats, pumpkin seeds, or amaranth work well.
- Bake the buckwheat bread in the oven for about 40 to 45 minutes. When it is nicely browned and has a crispy crust, you can take it out.
Want to try baking other types of bread? Check out our other recipes:
- Gluten-Free, Yeast-Free Bread: A Life-Changing Recipe
- Oopsies: Easy Recipe for Low-Carb Flourless Rolls
- Easy Spelt Bread Recipe: Simple and Quick 1 Hour Prep
- Is Bread Vegan? Brands, Recipes and Tips
This article has been translated from German by Karen Stankiewicz. You can find the original here: Buchweizenbrot: Rezept zum Selbermachen** Links to retailers marked with ** or underlined orange are partially partner links: If you buy here, you actively support Utopia.org, because we will receive a small part of the sales proceeds. More info.
Do you like this post?