It's pumpkin spice season again! Read here for our list of pumpkin spice ingredients to learn how to recreate this simple yet comforting aromatic blend at home.
It’s more economical to make your own homemade pumpkin spice, and it’s easier than buying the dried spices every time you need them. Pumpkin spice ingredients include ground ginger, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. It will take you less than five minutes to whip up this recipe.
Try to ensure that your pumpkin spice ingredients are fair trade to make your spice blend delicious and ethical. Let’s learn how to make your own pumpkin spice.
Basic Pumpkin Spice Recipe
Yield: 5 servings
- 1½ tsp. ground allspice
- 3 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1½ ground cloves
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 tsp. nutmeg
- In a small bowl mix together the allspice, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg.
- Pour into a small jar or airtight container and store in a cool, dry place. It can keep for two to three years
Store your pumpkin spice in an airtight jar. You could even use some attractive jars and give them to family and friends as a seasonal gift.
Using Your Pumpkin Spice Blend
Pumpkin spice can be used in a variety of ways, such as:
- Coffee, such as the famous pumpkin spice latte or our vegan iced pumpkin spice latte
- Roasted nuts
- Desserts — like this vegan pumpkin cheesecake
- Roasted vegetables
- Pies (of course)
- Vegan trifle — a tasty layered dessert that uses pumpkin spice in the custard and cake layers.
The following recipes use cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger and allspice, which can simply be substituted for pumpkin spice:
- Homemade pumpkin spice syrup — you can use pumpkin spice syrup in drinks like iced lattes and smoothies as well as in baking.
- Dairy-free pumpkin pie — a Thanksgiving favorite, you can substitute the spices for pumpkin spice, cutting the list of ingredients.
- How to Eat Pumpkin Seeds, Shells and All
- Can You Eat Pumpkin Raw? Benefits, Drawbacks, and Risks
- Pumpkin Gnocchi With (Vegan) Sage Butter Sauce
- How to Make Pumpkin Dip (Natural and Vegan)
Do you like this post?