Gado-gado is a tasty salad dish, packed full of vegetables, tofu and tempeh, all covered with a creamy, spicy peanut sauce and served with rice crackers. You’ll love it!
Gado-gado is an Indonesian vegetable salad that is covered in peanut sauce. It is eaten as a main course and is a favorite street food across the country. Gado-gado recipes vary by region, for this vegan recipe we will use boiled green beans, cabbage and potatoes, alongside fresh beansprouts and cucumber. These are served alongside fried tofu, tempeh and rice crackers. All of this is then covered in a creamy, slightly sweet and spicy peanut sauce.
You’ll find this vegan gado-gado recipe so easy to make, you’ll want to add it to your list of favorite recipes. The peanut sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a week. This dish is so healthy and light, you’ll want to make it again and again. Let’s get stuck in!
How to Make Vegan Gado-Gado
- 1 cup firm tofu
- 1 cup tempeh
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 cup cooked potatoes
- 1 cup green beans
- 2 cups cabbage
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 cup beansprouts
- Handful of coriander
- 3 tbsp. sweet soy sauce
- 2/3 cup smooth vegan peanut butter
- 1 tbsp. soft dark brown sugar
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- Optional: 1 large red chili, finely chopped
- Juice 1 lime
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp. tamarind paste
- Rice crackers to serve
- Chop the tofu and tempeh into one-inch cubes. Warm the oil in a large frying pan and fry the tofu and tempeh on each side until golden brown. Remove from the heat and put on a plate.
- Chop the cooked potatoes into chunks and fry until they start to crisp. Set aside with the tofu.
- Wash and chop the green beans into two-inch lengths. Wash and finely shred the cabbage. Fill a small saucepan with water and boil the green beans and shredded cabbage for a few minutes, until tender.
- Wash and slice the cucumber. Wash the beansprouts and wash and chop the coriander.
- Arrange a small handful of each of the vegetables, tempeh and tofu on each serving plate.
- To make the peanut sauce, mix the sweet soy sauce and peanut butter in a small bowl until smooth. Add the sugar, garlic, chili, lime juice, coconut milk and tamarind paste and mix well until combined.
- Drizzle the sauce over the vegetables and tofu on each plate and serve with rice crackers.
- How to Plant and Grow Peanuts at Home
- Avocado Mango Salad Recipe
- Indonesian Jamu Recipe (Turmeric Ginger Herbal Drink)
Do you like this post?