You’ve got a headache and it feels like your skull is buzzing? Luckily there are a number of simple home remedies and tricks that serve as natural antidotes to headache pain – we outline them below.
The Most Common Headache Causes
Even when it’s impossible to pinpoint the exact cause of headaches, since they can often be caused by a number of triggers simultaneously, there are three common risk factors:
- Tension: Tense neck muscles alone can lead to headaches. The body’s own protection mechanisms unleash pain in order to keep you from damaging this critical area.
- Lack of sleep: The body regenerates during sleep. If you’re not getting enough sleep, the body builds up stress, resulting in an increased chance of illness and headaches.
- Stress: Psychological stress causes tension and thus can be a trigger for tension headaches.
Home Cure for Battling Headaches
Too often we reach for pain meds when it comes to headaches. But considerations about their side effects shouldn’t be taken lightly.
The following nine natural home remedies can alleviate the pain of headaches without any negative side effects whatsoever:
- Take a break and get some fresh air. Your brain gets an oxygen boost, and your eyes can relax.
- Drink a glass of tap water or a cup of tea to keep your fluids in balance and dehydration at bay.
- Lie down with your eyes closed and try to relax, or even try to take a short nap.
- Massage your neck and your temples, applying targeted pressure to tense areas.
- Deep relaxation through yoga, meditation, or mindfulness exercises can reduce the risk of headache generally by removing the fodder for anxiety.
- Take deep breaths; hold your breath for a short moment and try to breathe as slowly as possible. This is not only relaxing, but also feeds your brain more oxygen.
- Alternating between hot and cold water while showering can stimulate your circulation, resulting in greater blood flow to the head. It’s enough to run both hot and cold water over your calf muscles.
- Targeted heat can loosen neck tension. Hot water bottles, a heated pillow or heating pad, or even a warm, wet towel can all have positive effects.
- Peppermint oil is one home remedy that can interrupt pain transmission. Apply a few drops to your temples and forehead.
As you can see, there are quite a few simple home remedies that can alleviate headache pain without the need for medication. Give them a try and leave us a comment if something here helped you personally!
— By Krystian Manthey
More from utopia.org:
- Natural Home Remedies against Colds: Stinky Edition
- Less Plastic in 7 Easy Steps
- Natural Home Remedies against Colds: Sweet Edition