Did you know you can make an adult Capri Sun with reusable containers? From recipes to fun alcohol blends, to sustainable containers — we’ve got you covered.
Put the Fun Into Capri Sun
It’s never too early for a fruity and boozy glass of sunshine and making Capri Sun from scratch is an easy and sustainable way to kick off any season. Mixing and blending flavors to your own taste can be fun and is also an easy way to cut down on some packaging.
While the average Capri Sun pouch comes in foil as opposed to plastic, it is still not the most environmentally friendly option. According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, 52.1% of aluminum packaging ends up in landfills.
You can help cut down on the waste by making your Capri Sun at home. Here’s a recipe on how to make adult Capri Sun from scratch.
Adult Capri Sun From Scratch: Recipe
Capri Sun is traditionally made from a mix of fruit juices: typically lemon, orange, apple, pineapple and passionfruit. For this recipe, you can pick and choose the blend of fruits you like.
To make your own Capri Sun, you can choose some fresh fruits for your own concoction. Some tasty seasonal summer fruits include kiwis, raspberries, strawberries, apricots and blueberries. These can be locally sourced during the summer. But you can also find an abundance of local seasonal fruit in your nearby farmers’ market whatever the season. Once you know what fruits you want, just follow this guide.
- 1½ cups water
- 2 cups fruit of your choice
- ½ to 1½ cups sugar (depending on your preference)
- ¼ to ½ cup alcohol of your choice (depending on your boozy inclinations)
- Prepare your fruit. Peel any skin and cut the fruit into small pieces.
- To give your drink a smooth consistency, you can blend your fruits in a juicer.
- You can add as much or as little water to get the consistency you want.
- Then measure out your alcohol.
- Add it all in a jug or shaker. Stir or shake.
This recipe should fill approximately four sustainable drink pouches — maybe more if you add a bit more water.
Tip: Don’t toss the skins. Here are some of our guides on which ones you can eat or use up in other ways:
- Are Mango Skins Edible? Pros & Cons of Eating the Whole Fruit
- Is Kiwi Skin Edible? Yes, But You Need to Consider the Following
- 4 Clever Ways to Use Leftover Apple Peels
- Orange Peel Uses: Why You Shouldn’t Throw The Skin Away
- Can You Eat Banana Peels? What You Should Know
- Why You Should Eat Watermelon Rind – and How to Prepare it
Capri Sun Flavor Suggestions
Not sure what goes nicely with your fruits? No problem! Here are some easy blends and alcohol pairings you can try.
Adult Capri Sun Ideas:
- Orange, lemon, apple and kiwi — add tequila or vodka.
- Lemon and seasonal berries — add vodka.
- Raspberry and apricot — add brandy or rum.
- Strawberry, kiwi and lime — add white wine.
When you’ve got your tasty blend ready, you can move on to serving.
Sustainable Containers and Straw Options
For straws, there are dozens of eco-friendly options on the market, all available on Amazon**:
- Wheat Straws** — These straws are a good choice if you want a minimally processed option. They’re made from natural wheat stems.
- Bamboo Straws** — Bamboo straws are quickly becoming a classic. These are reusable, handcrafted bamboo straws from Bali.
- Sugarcane Straws** — If you want something different, sugarcane straws are another fun option. These are biodegradable, flat-end straws.
- Paper Straws** — Of course, paper is the easiest and cheapest option. Though they aren’t the most sustainable. Still, they come in different colors. Perfect for parties and BBQs.
- Stainless Steel Straws** — If you want something durable and long-lasting, stainless steel straws are the way to go. They’re stylish, reusable and hassle-free.
If you pop one of these straws into your adult Capri Sun containers, it’s sure to be an instant summer favorite. Speaking of containers, what can you serve your Capri Sun in?
- Plastic Flasks** on Amazon — These nifty reusable pouches are a great alternative to the traditional Capri Sun containers. They’re reusable and leakproof. Although they’re made of plastic, they’re BPA-free and a better choice than buying single-use Capri Sun.
- Zipper Pouches** on Amazon — These are perfect for quick fill-ups. They’re easy to clean, freezer-friendly and reusable.
These are similar to actual Capri Sun pouches. You get the same colorful style, but with a sustainable twist.
Tips on Leftover Capri Sun
Lastly, when the party’s done, you might have some Adult Capri Sun leftover. In that case, here’s a nifty bonus recipe:
Adult Capri Sun Slushies
- Take the remainder of your Capri Sun and put it in a blender.
- Add a few ice cubes and some sparkling water.
- Blend the mixture. Place your slushie in one of your reusable pouches.
- Drink or pop it in the freezer until you’re ready.
- Give it a squeeze when you take it out.
- Vegan White Russian: An Easy Plant-Based Cocktailails
- Is Alcohol Vegan? A Guide to Vegan Booze
- Best Natural Ways to Get Over a Hangover – Quickly
Do you like this post?