Trail mix is healthy, filling, and delicious! For an on-the-go snack to keep you fuelled, you can’t go wrong with this homemade trail mix recipe.
Trail mix is a popular snack that can be purchased in stores, or easily made yourself. It can go by many names including scroggin, schmogle or gorp, and is characterized by being a light-weight snack that can be easily carried on the trail. It can pack quite a protein punch, depending on the ingredients used, so it’s a great way to keep your energy levels high when out and about. Learn how to make homemade trail mix using natural and healthy ingredients.
Homemade Trail Mix Recipe
We recommend always buying locally and organic when and where you can. Not only is sourcing local and organic ingredients so much tastier, it helps to support your community. You can also rest assured there are no (or fewer) added nasties and preservatives, as well as do your part to reduce your carbon footprint by not buying ingredients that have been shipped halfway across the world.
Here is what you’ll need for this homemade trail mix:
- 2 cups mixed nuts of your choosing, roughly chopped
- 1 cup mixed seeds
- 1 cup raisins
- ½ cup dried apricots, roughly chopped
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Add all your ingredients into a big bowl.
- Mix well.
- Store your homemade trail mix in an airtight container.
- Scoop the desired amount of trail mix into a smaller container or reusable bag before a hike.
Why is Trail Mix Helpful on a Hike?
Trail mix is a perfect snack for a long hike or any other prolonged outdoor activity. The ingredients for this homemade trail mix recipe are packed with healthy fats and plant based protein that help to fuel the body and sustain it for long periods of exercise.
Not to mention it’s portable, lightweight, and easy to share – plus, it can be made to your own cravings and preferences.
- 10 Best Hikes Near NYC You Can Reach by Train
- Urban Hiking: 5 Tips for Getting Started
- Best Hiking on the East Coast: 7 Amazing Trails
Do you like this post?