Vegan Dominican spaghetti is a rich and creamy tomato pasta dish, full of yummy vegan salami or spicy sausage. We'll show you how to make this tasty comfort food.
Dominican spaghetti, also referred to as spaghetti a la Criolla or spaghetti Rojo, is rich and creamy and packed full of olives, tomatoes, bell pepper and salami. In this recipe, we use vegan salami, but you can also use spicy meat-free sausages, which may be easier to find in the store. You’ll love how easy and quick this dish is to make.
Vegan Dominican Spaghetti Recipe
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 lb. dried spaghetti
- 8 oz. vegan salami or spicy sausage (such as Impossible Sausage, available on Amazon**)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1 plum tomato
- 2 tbsp. green olives
- 1 tsp. vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. vegan margarine
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup evaporated coconut milk (available on Amazon**)
- 1/4 cup vegan Parmesan cheese (to serve)
- Fill a large saucepan with water and add salt. Bring to a boil and add spaghetti. Cook for 12 minutes, or until tender, then drain and set aside.
- Chop salami or sausage into small one-inch pieces. Warm oil in a medium-sized frying pan and fry salami or sausage until golden brown.
- Crush the garlic and dice the bell pepper and onions. Chop the tomato and oregano.
- Reduce the heat and fry the garlic, bell pepper and onions for a few minutes. Add the olives, vegetable stock, tomato, black pepper and oregano and cook for a further two minutes.
- Stir in the vegan margarine, tomato sauce and evaporated coconut milk. Cover and simmer for about eight minutes.
- Add the cooked spaghetti and mix well. Remove from heat.
- Serve immediately with salad or bread and a sprinkling of vegan Parmesan cheese.
Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat on low heat on the stove.
- Carrot Pasta: Step by Step Recipe for Vegan Pasta
- Veggie Sausage Recipe + Vegan Version & Variations
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese Recipe: How to Make It Yourself
Do you like this post?