This easy vegan frittata recipe is the perfect plant-based meal to use up the vegetables in your fridge. Enjoy it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
Traditional frittata is made using eggs, however, our easy vegan frittata recipe recreates the same delicious flavor, texture, and nutrition of an egg frittata, but uses tofu instead. This creamy and flavorful vegan frittata is quick, easy, and can be made using a variety of different fillings and toppings.
Vegan Frittata Recipe
Try not to feel overwhelmed by the ingredients list, as the reward will be worth the effort.
Tofu “Egg” Base:
- 1 pack silken tofu, drained
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk (unsweetened)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp strong dijon mustard
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried tarragon
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ⅛ tsp cracked black pepper
Tofu Egg Instructions:
- To make the tofu “egg”, simply add all the ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth. Season to taste.
- If the mixture needs more moisture for smoothness, add ½ a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil at a time, until desired consistency is achieved.
Vegan Frittata Filling:
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large handful grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 large handful spinach
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Generous pinch of sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Sauté the potatoes for five minutes. Add the onions and sauté for a further five minutes. Add the zucchini, bell pepper and garlic and cook until tender and softened. Add the tomatoes, spinach and red pepper flakes and cook for another two minutes. Season to taste and remove from the heat.
- Add the tofu “egg” mixture to the pan with the vegetables and mix well, until everything is well combined.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch pie dish or springform pan. Spoon in the mixture and level the top of the frittata flat using the back of a wooden spoon or spatula. Press tightly to ensure there are no gaps.
- Place the frittata in the middle of the oven and cook for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the frittata is firm to the touch and slightly browned. Remove from the oven and allow to cook for at least ten minutes in the pie dish before removing. Your vegan frittata is now ready to be enjoyed either as a hearty vegan breakfast, light but filling lunch, or as a simple yet delicious dinner. Enjoy!
Vegan Frittata Variations
The beauty of this vegan frittata recipe is that it is completely adaptable to your favorite veggies and to what is in season and locally available to you.
When it comes to making your own version of this vegan frittata recipe, we recommend using seasonal, locally-grown and organic produce as much as you can. This will not only improve the flavor of your frittata, but will improve the natural and human planet by reducing the carbon footprint and pesticide use of your food purchases, as well as supporting local and organic farmers. Here are a few suggestions for vegan frittata fillings and toppings that you can give a try:
- Mushroom and kale filling: Mix up the veggie list for your vegan frittata, and combine fresh mushrooms and kale to the filling, with a little added vegan parmesan for a hearty, cheesy vegan frittata.
- Caramelized red onion and sun-dried tomatoes: Make your vegan frittata extra rich by replacing the white onions with red onions, and topping your frittata with balsamic-roasted red onions, sun-dried tomatoes and fresh rosemary and theme.
- Avocado and fresh coriander: Easily turn this vegan frittata into a healthy and nutritious breakfast by topping it with avocado and fresh coriander.
- Vegan Omelette + 6 Filling Ideas
- Chickpea Tofu: Easy Recipe for Soy-Free Tofu
- The 10 Easiest Vegetables to Grow at Home
Do you like this post?