Chickpea tofu is the perfect alternative to traditional tofu. Whether you’re trying to reduce your soy intake, or just looking to mix up your weeknight dinners, this easy vegan recipe is exactly what you’ve been looking for.
Chickpea flour is impressively versatile: whether for vegan scrambled eggs, for the frying pan, as a vegan egg substitute, or for chickpea tofu – this gluten-free flour has countless applications in the kitchen.
Chickpea Tofu Recipe: Ingredients and Preparation
- 1½ cups water
- 200g (about 7oz) chickpea flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 dash turmeric (optional)
- 1 tbsp oil
- Mix half the water (3/4 cup) with the chickpea flour, salt, turmeric. The dough should have a gooey consistency.
- Bring the rest of the water to a boil in a pot on the stove.
- When the water is boiling, reduce the heat to medium and add the chickpea flour dough. Stir until all of the water is mixed in— the mixture will be quite thick, so stirring will require a bit of strength.
- Leave the mixture on the heat for about 8-10 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent burning.
- Lubricate a square baking tin or dish with the oil, to prevent sticking.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and use a spatula to spread it out evenly.
- Let the chickpea tofu rest at room temperature for at least one hour. The longer it rests, the firmer the tofu will be.
You can use chickpea tofu as a substitute for traditional tofu in any recipe.
Chickpea Tofu: Tips and Recipe Ideas
The chickpea tofu can be seasoned any way you like. For example, you can add smoked paprika, curry powder, homemade pesto, chili flakes, dried basil or dried oregano, or any other herb or spice mix that you enjoy. For a bit of extra flavor, you could also add a few tablespoons of soy sauce or mustard.
Chickpea tofu is an adaptable ingredient that can be prepared in as many ways as traditional tofu can: add it to stir-frys, marinate and roast in the oven, or serve cold in salads.affiliate links: If you buy here, you actively support Utopia.org because we get a small portion of the proceeds.
Do you like this post?