Kids love playing with homemade kinetic sand. There are only four ingredients, and you probably already have them at home. Get ready to get messy!
Kinetic sand differs from regular sand because it is malleable without requiring water. It is a fun craft activity for kids to play with. They can build sandcastles or make “cupcakes” from it. Furthermore, it can be stored and re-used multiple times. Store-bought kinetic sand (or moon sand) contains regular sand coated in silicone oil — a material derived from petroleum and not environmentally friendly.
We’ll explain how to make homemade kinetic sand using essentials you’ll probably already have at home. Check out how to make natural food dyes for some added pizazz. Making kinetic sand at home is cheaper than buying it and requires less plastic packaging. You can store your homemade kinetic sand in an airtight container for several years.
Choose any colors you like for your sand. Kids will love its bright colors and soft, silky feeling between their fingers. This recipe uses cornstarch, but you can use regular flour as an alternative. You can also add fragrance with a drop of essential oil after you mix in the color.
Playing with kinetic sand can get pretty messy, so we recommend putting it in a large tray or sensory tub. Let your kids play with it in an uncarpeted area or outside for easy clean-up. Give them tools like cookie cutters, measuring cups or toy plates and watch their creativity abound.
Make sure the little ones wash their hands after playing as they may get sticky — all part of the fun!
Keep reading to learn how to make easy homemade kinetic sand.
How to Make Homemade Kinetic Sand
- 3/4 cup baking soda
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup cooking oil of your choice
- 2 tsp. natural food coloring of your choice
- Combine the baking soda and cornstarch in a large mixing bowl.
- Gradually add a quarter of a cup of oil at a time with your chosen food coloring. Use your fingertips to rub the mixture together. It will start to become clay-like and easier to shape. Use less oil for a less sticky texture or more for a squishier effect.
Store your homemade kinetic sand in an airtight container away from sun and heat; it will last several years.
- The 8 Best Organic Clothing Brands for Kids
- Homemade Finger Paint: Non-Toxic Paint for Kids
- Eco-Friendly Toys for Kids: 5 Sustainable Gift Ideas
Do you like this post?