Here are three different bubble recipes for DIY bubble solutions without the chemical glycerine. They’re safe and easy — and make for hours of fun!
Soap bubbles are popular with children and adults alike. And the gleaming rainbow-colored spheres are even more fun when they’re homemade. There are countless recipes out there for DIY bubble solution.
However, the majority of bubble recipes use the base component glycerine. This chemical is typically obtained from animal products, petroleum or palm oil. So it can be a product of factory farming, deforestation and other practices that harm the environment.
If you want to show your kids how to make bubbles, teach them how to do it sustainably. We’ll show you three recipes for how to make bubbles without using glycerine — instead, using simple ingredients you probably already have at home.
Warning: Children should only work with these ingredients under close adult supervision.
1. How to Make Bubbles With Corn Syrup Instead of Glycerine
For this bubble recipe, you’ll only need three ingredients. You can find corn syrup at organic food stores, well-stocked supermarkets and drugstores. Distilled water and dish soap can also be found in drugstores and supermarkets. Or, use homemade dish soap.
Ingredients for DIY bubble solution:
- 1 1/4 cups distilled water
- 2/5 cups dish soap
- 2 3/4 tbsp. corn syrup
- Mix the ingredients and let the solution rest for at least an hour.
- Stir once more before use.
2. Bubble Recipe Using Vegetable Oil
You can also simply replace the glycerine with vegetable oil — a household ingredient you might already have.
Ingredients for this bubble solution recipe:
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 4 tbsp. dish soap
- 2-4 drops plant oil
- Pour the water into a large pot.
- Add the dish soap while stirring until dissolved.
- Let the mixture sit for about five minutes.
- Add a few drops of vegetable oil, and you’re done!
Tip: Did you know that simple vegetable oil is also a great home remedy for clogged ears?
3. DIY Bubble Solution Without Glycerine and Dish Soap Instead
Finally, here’s one way to make bubbles without using glycerine or detergent.
Ingredients for DIY bubble solution recipe:
- 1 1/2 gallons water
- 25 oz. neutral soap (find at your local drugstore)
- 17 1/2 oz. sugar
- 1 2/5 oz. wallpaper adhesive
Tip: Interested in making your own soap? Check out our 3 soap recipes.
- Heat 1/4 gallon of water and pour it into a bucket or large pot.
- Pour the soap, wallpaper paste and sugar into the water.
- Stir until the ingredients have dissolved.
- Add the remaining 1 1/4 gallons of lukewarm water.
- Continue stirring until the mixture forms a homogeneous liquid. Make sure that there is no foam.
- Let the liquid rest for about an hour.
- Stir again before use.
We hope you and your kids enjoy your DIY bubble solution!
- How to Make Homemade Playdough: An Easy DIY Recipe
- Homemade Sugar Lip Scrub: An Easy DIY Recipe
- 30 Team-Building Activities for Kids (Indoor & Outdoor)
- DIY Shampoo Bar Recipe: 3 Sustainable Ways to Keep Your Hair Clean & Healthy
Do you like this post?