This homemade playdough recipe is a breeze. Why run out to buy brandname playdough when you can make it in the same amount of time at home? You probably already have most of the all-natural ingredients in your pantry. The kids can lend a hand, too. We’ll show you how it’s done in three simple steps.
Homemade Playdough Recipe: The Ingredients
- 4/5 cup of boiling water
- 1 ½ cups of flour
- 2/5 cup of salt
- 3 tbsp. neutral oil
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- Food coloring
Homemade Playdough: The Recipe
- Using a mixer, mix all the ingredients together (except for the food coloring).
- Next, knead the dough by hand into a homogenous mass and portion accordingly.
- Now color each individual portion of dough as desired. To do this, lightly press down on each piece of dough with one finger to create a small indentation. Apply a drop or two of each color and knead the dough once more. Here you can let the kids get creative and experiment with color shades and intensity. Let the fun begin!
When sealed airtight and packed away in the refrigerator, this homemade playdough mix lasts months. If for the next round of sculpting the playdough appears dried out or brittle, there’s no need to toss it and begin looking for another homemade playdough recipe – all you need to do is add a bit of water to your homemade playdough and knead everything together once more.
Why Homemade Playdough?
Anybody with small kids knows: anything you give them will inevitably end up in their mouths. The salt added to his homemade playdough recipe is sure to spur second thoughts the next time your little guy or girl thinks of taking a nibble. This sort of deterrent is also much safer than artificial coloring or preservatives.
Baking Instructions Included
Another benefit of this homemade playdough recipe is that the handcrafted animals, fantastic characters and unidentifiable yet all-around inspiring masterpieces can be fired and their beauty preserved forever. Similar to salt dough, let these works of art air dry for a few days, then bake them in the oven at 210°F for 1-2 hours (depending on thickness).
- Recipe: Make Your Own Granola Bars, Quickly and Sustainably
- Bubble Recipes: How to Make a DIY Bubble Solution For Kids
- Tutorial: Natural DIY Body Wash for Beginners
This article was translated from German by Evan Binford. You can view the original here: Knete selber machen: Rezept mit natürlichen Zutaten** Links to retailers are partially affiliate links: If you buy here, you actively support Utopia.org because we get a small portion of the proceeds.
Do you like this post?