Looking for a big bowl of comfort during colder winter days? This homemade ramen broth recipe will provide a flavorsome and complementary base for any toppings you choose.
Traditional ramen broth is made using animal bones, and the flavor can be difficult to replicate using plant-based ingredients. Go in the complete opposite direction with a delectable shiitake mushroom and miso broth. The depth of flavor in this homemade ramen broth will pair well with toppings like fried or marinated tofu, bok choy, fermented vegetables, carrots, bamboo shoots, corn, and mushrooms.
Homemade Ramen Broth Recipe
Make a delicious homemade vegan ramen broth bursting with umami flavor by following this easy recipe. You might need to check out your nearest Asian supermarket for ingredients like mirin, kombu, miso paste, and shiitake mushrooms, but this broth won’t be complete without them! Note: most miso pastes are vegan, but check the ingredients just to be sure!
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp mirin or cooking sherry
- ½ cup dried Shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1 sheet kombu kelp, rinsed
- 1½ tbsp miso paste
- pepper, to taste
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to a pan on medium-high heat and sauté the onion until tender and translucent.
- Turn down the heat to medium and add the garlic and continue cooking until onions are golden brown.
- Next, add the vegetable broth, water, cooking sherry, mushrooms, and kombu, and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Simmer uncovered on medium heat for approximately 25 minutes, then remove the kombu.
- Add in the miso paste and pepper, to your liking.
Now your homemade ramen broth is finished and you’re ready to add your noodles and toppings!
- How To Grow Mushrooms: A Beginner’s Guide
- Going Vegan: 5 Simple Steps Towards Veganism
- 10 Everyday Green Living Ideas: Sustainability on a Shoestring Budget
Do you like this post?