Wondering how to make garlic salt? This small but mighty ingredient is a must-have for all your seasoning needs – and it’s easy to make. Learn how here.
Garlic salt has a wide range of uses – it can jazz up homemade microwave popcorn or pizza, can be sprinkled on sandwiches or potato peel chips, or added directly into any meal you’re cooking. This homemade garlic salt will taste much better than any version you can buy at the store, and it will even allow you to do some precycling. Learn how to make garlic salt yourself using our recipe below.
How to Make Garlic Salt
The simplest way to make garlic salt is by combining granulated garlic (garlic powder) with salt. But to get a deeper and more intense flavor, it is well worth the time and effort to chop and dry your own fresh garlic.
Tip: In order to save on the electricity (and environmental) costs of using your oven to dry the garlic, double up and use the heat to make homemade croutons at the same time.
- Food processor or blender
- ½ cup kosher salt
- 6 cloves of organic garlic, peeled
- Baking sheet
- Silicone baking mat, or other substitute for parchment paper
Here’s how to make garlic salt:
- Add the salt and garlic to a food processor or blender and blitz until the garlic is finely chopped.
- Spread the garlic salt mixture out evenly onto a lined baking sheet.
- Bake the mixture at 200°F for approximately 45 minutes, or until it has dried out.
- After baking, place the garlic salt back into the food processor or blender, and blitz until your desired consistency is reached.
You can store your homemade garlic salt in an airtight container for up to 1 year at room temperature, which gives you plenty of time to use it.
- Get Rid of Garlic Breath: 9 Remedies for Mouth and Hands
- Mashed Potato With Skins: Zero Food Waste Recipe
- How Long Do Spices Last? Tips for Spice Longevity
Do you like this post?