Ever wondered whether hoisin sauce is vegan? The answer may be surprising! Read on to discover whether hoisin sauce is vegan-friendly, and how you can make your own natural and healthy vegan hoisin sauce at home.
What Is Hoisin Sauce and Is it Vegan?
Hoisin sauce is a smooth blend of sweet, salty, and spicy. This dark, rich sauce is a traditional Chinese condiment full of flavor, mostly used as a dipping sauce or added to stir-fries and marinades. Its bold flavors and strong aromas make hoisin sauce a must-have condiment for your kitchen. It is made from fermented soybeans and a mixture of sweet and spicy spices.
The name ‘hoisin’ comes from the Chinese word for “seafood”, which begs the question: is hoisin sauce vegan? The answer is, surprisingly, yes! Hoisin sauce does not contain any seafood ingredients but was named as such because it is traditionally paired with seafood dishes. So worry not vegans, you too can enjoy this delicious Chinese sauce.
What Is Hoisin Sauce Made Of?
The base ingredients for hoisin sauce are all vegan-friendly. Aside from the main ingredient of soybean paste, other ingredients in hoisin sauce include chili, vinegar, garlic, salt, xanthan gum, artificial flavorings, and sugar.
Recipe for Making Your Own Vegan Hoisin Sauce
Although hoisin sauce is vegan, store-bought bottles are not necessarily the healthiest. Most commercial hoisin sauces are packed with additives, salt, sugar, and artificial colorings. It is therefore recommended to make your own homemade vegan hoisin sauce. It is much healthier, uses only 100% natural ingredients, and couldn’t be easier
- 1 cup dates (or raisins)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1-1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. Barley miso
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- Place the dates in a bowl and soak them in warm water for 1 hour.
- Place the soaked dates in a blender along with all the other ingredients. Blend until completely combined and smooth.
- Transfer the sauce to a clean glass jar with a sealable lid. Your homemade vegan hoisin sauce can be stored in the fridge for up to a week.
How to Use Hoisin Sauce
Now that you’ve got your own homemade vegan hoisin sauce, it’s time to put it to good use.
- Use it to top your homemade tempeh
- Serve as a dip for vegan mantou (vegan wasabi mayo also works great!)
- Add to vegan ramen broth
- Drizzle over veggie sushi rolls
- Are Jelly Beans Vegan? Facts and Tasty Alternatives
- Is Ketchup Vegan? Here’s Everything You Need to Know
- Is Cocoa Butter Vegan? Here’s What You Need to Know
Do you like this post?