Thanks to social media and the internet, long-distance friendships have become more accessible than ever before. But how can you ensure your bond stays strong, despite the distance? Our tips will help you and your friends maintain a close connection, no matter how far apart you may be.
Who said long-distance friendships have to be a struggle? Yes, it takes effort from both parties, but when you and your friends make it a priority, your reward is friendship for life. From virtual coffee dates to surprise care packages, discover how you can stay close with your long-distance best friends for a lifetime.
Tips for Long-Distance Friendship
- Share your life and show interest in theirs. Send photos regularly, write to your long-distance friends about what’s going on and ask about their lives. Share memes that remind you of each other. It’s the little things that count.
- Create routines and rituals. Routines help maintain friendships whether you see each other regularly or not! Plan monthly virtual coffee dates or drinks nights, or make sure to check in on the weekends.
Put in the extra effort to pursue common interests. Arrange to watch the same movie or read the same book. It will give you and your long-distance best friend a common experience to talk about and make you feel much closer.
- Honesty, reliability and appreciation. These values are just as important in a long-distance friendship as in a friendship where you see each other regularly.
- Call each other regularly. Whether you schedule your coffee dates or do it spontaneously, make time for each other. Video calls are even better because you can see facial expressions.
- Communicate transparently and openly. These days, the expectation is that everyone must be available at all times and respond immediately to every message. It’s okay if you don’t want that —just make sure you communicate clearly, so everyone has the same expectations for your long-distance friendships.
Nurturing Friendships: When and How
Sometimes, despite all efforts, it’s impossible to avoid drifting apart or keep your long-distance friendships from breaking down. It can happen with your friend next door as much as with your long-distance best friend. How do you know when it is still worthwhile to invest in a friendship and when it is better to just walk away? Unfortunately, there’s no one size fits all solution for this, as many different factors are in play.
Before you give up on a friendship, try talking to each other! Have an open conversation about your concerns; you may be able to figure things out and salvage the relationship.
It’s also important to be honest with yourself. If you find yourself putting all the effort in, you may be in a one-sided friendship. These types of relationships are emotionally draining and not worth your time or effort.** Links to retailers marked with ** or underlined orange are partially partner links: If you buy here, you actively support Utopia.org, because we will receive a small part of the sales proceeds. More info.
Do you like this post?