Mango sticky rice is creamy, sweet, and will leave you wanting more. Our quick and easy mango sticky rice recipe is ideal for a snack or dessert.
Mango sticky rice is super sweet and fruity. Glutinous rice is steamed in coconut milk to give it a light and creamy taste along with a sticky texture. It’s then topped with a sweet coconut sauce and served alongside freshly sliced mango.
A popular dessert in Thailand, this quick and easy mango sticky rice recipe only takes twenty minutes to make, and only requires a few simple ingredients. If you want to reduce the sugar content in this dish, you could substitute it with a natural sweetener such as maple syrup, coconut sugar, agave, or maple syrup. Ensure you use ripe mangoes which feel slightly soft inside if you squeeze them gently.
Mangoes are a seasonal fruit and they are grown in Florida and California from May through to August. Look to buy local and organic ingredients whenever possible to reduce your carbon footprint. It’s also a good idea to source Fair Trade coconut milk and organic sweeteners for our mango sticky rice recipe.
How to Make Fast and Easy Mango Sticky Rice
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup glutinous rice
- 1¾ cup coconut milk
- 1 cup of water
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 4 tbsp organic sugar or sweetener of your choice
- 2 ripe mangoes
- Rinse the rice before cooking. Rigorously massage the rice while rinsing it for five minutes, until the water runs clear as this helps to remove the outer shell.
- Put the washed rice in a medium-sized saucepan and add one cup of coconut milk (ensure you shake the can well before opening).
- Add one cup of water and salt. Mix well and cover.
- Simmer on low heat until all of the liquid is absorbed. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Add the sugar or sweetener and mix well.
- For the coconut sauce, put the remaining ¾ cup of coconut milk in a small saucepan, with one tablespoon of sugar or sweetener. Simmer for five minutes, until the coconut milk reduces by half and thickens. Remove from the heat.
- Peel the mangoes and slice them into chunks. Mango skins are edible, so you don’t need to throw them away.
- To serve, press the sticky rice into a half-sized measuring cup. Press firmly and then turn it out onto a serving plate, alongside the chopped mango.
- Pour the coconut sauce on top of the sticky rice and serve immediately. Alternatively, the sticky rice can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to three days. Add the coconut sauce after removing it from the refrigerator.
- Avocado Mango Salad Recipe
- Black Rice Pudding: Homemade & Vegan Recipe
- Quick Quinoa Pudding + 3 Variations
Do you like this post?