Looking for a dairy-free frosting recipe to complement your baked goods? Look no further. We’ll show you how to make a simple version and different ways to enjoy it.
American-style buttercream is one of the sweetest form of frosting in the culinary world and is typically made of two simple ingredients: butter and sugar. If you’re big into baking but wish to avoid the use of dairy products, you’ll need to find other alternatives. That’s where a dairy-free frosting recipe comes in handy. Your friends and family won’t even know the difference.
Dairy-Free Frosting Recipe
To make this simple dairy-free frosting, you’ll need to gather a few ingredients. Using store-bought vegan butter allows you to get the right consistency for this frosting, so avoid using any other vegan substitute for butter. If you do choose to use coconut milk, make sure you find a product that is organic and fair trade.
- 1 stick (½ cup) vegan butter, softened
- ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups organic or DIY powdered sugar
- Optional: Full-fat coconut milk
- Add softened butter to a mixing bowl or stand mixer.
- Cream using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer until light and fluffy, approximately one minute.
- Add the vanilla, and mix to combine.
- Mix in the powdered sugar ½ cup at a time, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- If your dairy-free frosting is too thick, add one tablespoon of coconut milk at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
Store immediately in the fridge for up to one week, or in the freezer for up to one month.
Tip: Frost your items just before serving, as dairy-free frosting doesn’t hold well at room temperature.
How To Use Dairy-Free Frosting
This dairy-free frosting recipe is ideal for all your vegan baked goods. Use it with some of our delicious recipes:
- Vegan Carrot Cake (+ Gluten-Free Option)
- Vegan Almond Cake Recipe
- Easy & Delicious Vegan Pumpkin Cake With Frosting
- Homemade Oreos: A Raw Vegan Recipe
- Vegan Red Velvet Cake: A Healthier Alternative
- Water Cake: Dairy-Free, Egg-Free Cake Recipe
- Vegan Challah Bread: An Easy Everyday Recipe
- The Meaning of Vegan: A Definition and What You Can Eat
- Is Brown Sugar Vegan? The Truth & Vegan Sugar Brands
Do you like this post?