Spinach and feta pizza is a vegetarian classic. With our delicious recipe, you can quickly and easily make it yourself. We’ve also included some topping variations for our vegan readers!
Pizza is one of the most popular Italian dishes, probably because you can top it with nearly anything. You can easily make pizza yourself and adjust the toppings to your personal taste — some of the most popular pizza toppings across the US are pepperoni, sausage, and mushrooms.
Our spinach and feta pizza is a delicious vegetarian option that you can prepare in season with fresh spinach leaves. We’ll give you a simple step-by-step guide and share some helpful preparation tips.
Spinach and Feta Pizza Recipe
First, swing over to our pizza dough recipe to get the base started before you jump into prepping the toppings. Once the dough is made and rising, you can start to prep the rest. For our spinach and feta pizza, you’ll need:
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 3 cups of packed spinach
- 8 oz. feta cheese
- 7 oz. tomato passata
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Italian herbs, optional
- Give your spinach leaves a good wash and pat them dry.
- Heat the oil in a pan and heat the spinach for about ten minutes with the lid closed, until the spinach has softened and shrunk.
- Season the spinach with salt and pepper and allow it to cool — roll your pizza dough out while you wait!
- Spread the passata evenly over your pizza dough. Optional: sprinkle some Italian herbs on for a bit of extra flavor.
- Squeeze the spinach leaves with your hands so that the excess liquid can drip off. Spread it evenly on the pizza.
- Crumble the feta and sprinkle it evenly over the pizza.
- Bake the spinach and feta pizza at 425˚F for about 15 to 20 minutes.
If you find yourself with leftover spinach, read our tips about how to freeze spinach.
Pizza Preparation Tips
Pizza is quick and easy to prepare, versatile, and suitable for any occasion. It works as a snack or a full meal on its own. With a few simple preparation tips, your spinach and feta pizza will be delicious, sustainable, and healthy:
- Purchase organic ingredients — especially when purchasing animal products. This will help support species-appropriate animal husbandry.
- Buy regional and seasonal products whenever possible to support local producers and reduce your carbon footprint. Spinach is in season in the spring and in the fall.
- Enhance your spinach and feta pizza by adding other ingredients: chickpeas, garlic or mushrooms are great complementary ingredients.
- You can easily make a vegan version of this spinach and feta pizza by using vegan feta or skipping the cheese completely.
- Gluten-Free? Try making a cauliflower pizza crust, e.g. with this recipe by delish, or use the gluten-free flour of your choice.
This article has been translated from German by Karen Stankiewicz. You can find the original here: Spinatpizza: Ein vegetarisches Rezept** Links to retailers marked with ** or underlined orange are partially partner links: If you buy here, you actively support Utopia.org, because we will receive a small part of the sales proceeds. More info.
Do you like this post?