As temperatures begin to cool, the craving for warm and comforting dinners returns. Soup is an easy meal that can work as both a lunch and dinner option. We’ll show you how to make mushroom soup using natural, plant-based ingredients.
Did you know that white, cremini, and portobello mushrooms are all the same type of mushroom? Each of the different names corresponds to the ages of the Agaricus bisporus: white/button is the youngest, cremini is teenager, and portobello is the adult. As they age, they lose water content which allows the flavors to concentrate and develop. If you prefer the lighter taste of white mushrooms, choose those when making your mushroom soup. However, for those who love deep, earthy umami flavors, you’re better off choosing the cremini variety.
Read More: Can You Eat Mushrooms Raw? Here’s What You Should Know
How to Make Mushroom Soup: Recipe
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs. sliced mushrooms (white or cremini)
- 1 tbsp. fresh or dried thyme
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1½ cups unsweetened cashew milk
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat and sauté onions and garlic until translucent.
- Add the mushrooms, thyme, and white wine and cook for approximately 5 minutes.
- Pour the vegetable broth into the pot, bring the entire mixture to a boil, then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cashew milk, and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper, and enjoy!
Tip: If your mushroom soup seems a bit too thin, you can thicken it up. Find out more here: How to Thicken Stew: Easy Tips and Tricks
Mushroom soup will keep for up to 5 days in the fridge, provided it’s stored in an airtight container. You can also portion it out and freeze your soup for up to 2 months.
- How To Grow Mushrooms: A Beginner’s Guide
- Put Onion Skins Back to Use: 5 Useful Tricks
- Benefits of Going Vegetarian: Simple Tips for Beginners
Do you like this post?