Smudging a home makes room for positive energy and cleanses your space of unwelcome negativity. But what is smudging, exactly? Let's look at what it is and how to do it.
So — what is smudging? When you smudge a space, you cleanse the energy and allow positive energy to enter. It works by burning dried sage plants. The smoke from the sage purifies the space and, as it lifts into the air, takes your wishes and goals with it. This fuses your wishes with the universe and connects them closer to heaven and earth.
Smudging has been practiced for centuries. Indigenous Americans traditionally perform it as a powerful spiritual cleansing ceremony, where sacred plants are burned, calling upon spirits to drive away negative energy and restore balance.
Consider smudging new houses or apartments when you move into them. It can also be a good idea if you’re depressed or stuck in a rut. Smudging your house can help rid the area of this negative energy and free up your space for positivity.
How to Make A Sage Bundle
The traditional method of smudging involved burning sacred plants and herbs in a small bowl, or over an open fire. The modern approach to smudging lets you cleanse your home using a smudging stick or bundle made of sage and other plants and herbs tied together. Smudge sticks are easier to use and less likely to cause a fire than traditional methods.
Follow this guide for making your own smudge stick. The amounts depend on how big you want the bundle to be.
- Other woody shrubs and herbs, like thyme, lavender and rosemary
- Cotton string
- Gather your sage and other herbs and shrubs and bundle them together.
- Tie the bundle securely at the bottom using the cotton string. Make sure to leave plenty of loose string.
- Starting from the base of the bundle, wrap the string around it in a crisscross pattern. When you reach the top, make your way back down before securing the string tightly with a knot.
- Cut off excess string.
- In a cool, dry space, hang your sage to dry for at least one week.
- Once it is totally dry, you’re ready to cleanse your home.
How to Smudge Your House
Now that you have your homemade sage bundle, you’re ready to smudge your home.
- One small fireproof bowl
- One small bowl filled with sand
- One candle
- A lighter or matches
- Tidy your space.
- Light a candle.
- Gather a flameproof bowl, like a small clay bowl, to catch ashes as you burn your smudge stick.
- Prepare a bowl of sand. This is to extinguish the smudge stick once the ceremony is complete.
- Take some time to think about your wishes for your home, yourself and your loved ones.
- Now you are ready to start smudging. Start at your front door and light the top end of your smudge stick with the candle.
- Moving carefully and mindfully, walk clockwise through your house. Let the smoke drift into all spaces and corners — even inside closets. If you choose, you can chant or say prayers along your way and repeat your intentions out loud.
- The smudging ceremony is complete when you arrive back at the front door. Here, visualize your home filled with happiness and bright sunlight and chant your final prayer or mantra. Close the ceremony by speaking your intentions aloud once more and extinguish your smudge stick in the bowl of sand.
- Drying Sage: Tips & Tricks
- How to Get More REM Sleep Naturally & Finally Feel Rested
- 11 Creative Ways to Feng Shui Your Kitchen
Do you like this post?