Whether you want a glass water bottle, an insulated option, something suited for hiking, or stainless steel — find the best water bottle for your lifestyle here.
It’s important to carry around a water bottle to stay hydrated while mitigating your environmental footprint. Rather than purchasing single-use bottles regularly which are full of microplastics and other toxins which hurt both you and the planet, pick out a reusable water bottle that fits your wants and needs. There are so many durable, functional and nice-looking water bottles to choose from that help you go plastic-free.
When buying a reusable water bottle, there are things you can look out for to make sure they are as eco-friendly as can be, while fulfilling your daily hydration needs.
- You can make sure they are as durable as possible, so you don’t have to replace them with a new item often. This means that if you plan to use the bottle during exercise, stainless steel should be a more suitable material than glass, for example.
- All parts should be recyclable, if possible. While metals, especially stainless steel, as well as glass are very well recyclable, only some plastics can be recycled effectively. To ensure nothing leaks, most water bottles will have plastic or silicone parts. You might be able to find out whether the plastic is already recycled, or which material it exactly is and whether you have facilities to recycle that in your state or region. If not, eco-conscious brands might even offer to take the used bottles back in order to get them to a suitable recycling facility in bulk. Never hurts to ask!
- If it’s something that’s important to you, you can also check whether the brands have sustainability-related certifications or take other action you would like to support with your purchase. Are they a Certified B-Corp, for example, or do they donate a certain part of their profits to environmental organizations? While investigating a brand further, you might find out whether they treat their employees fairly, use green energy, are certified climate-neutral, and more. Those are things that could influence your buying decision.
Best Reusable Water Bottles for Hiking and Sports
1. The Takeya Actives Insulated Stainless Steel Water Bottle is a great water bottle for all types of physical activities. The bottle is BPA-free, made from stainless steel and includes a leak-proof spout that makes it easy to sip on and travel around with, even when using one-handed. The lid is also dishwasher safe. Plus, the double-wall vacuum insulation keeps drinks hot for 12 hours and cold for 24 hours. This bottle comes in a range of colors and sizes starting at eighteen ounces and going up to sixty-four ounces. The bottle is available on Amazon** and comes with a lifetime guarantee.
The Takeya water bottle is stylish as well.
2. The CamelBak Eddy comes in both uninsulated and insulated versions, depending on what you need. This BPA-free reusable plastic water bottle is great because it’s lightweight, easy to sip from and to carry around without spills. The leak-free lid offers a nice loop for holding, and the uninsulated bottles are transparent, which allows you to see how much water you have left. These bottles come in many different sizes and they are very affordable. Check out the 32 ounce uninsulated CamelBak Eddy on Amazon** or on the CamelBak website.
3. Klean Kanteen also offers water bottles with easy-use and leak-free caps. There are caps with drinking spouts as well as screw-caps with loops for easy transport. These bottles are minimalistic and come in uninsulated and insulated options. The latter can keep drinks hot for 20 hours and iced for up to 50 hours. Made from food grade stainless steel, these bottles are of high-quality. Check out the insulated bottle on Amazon** or on kleankanteen.com.
Best for Insulation
4. Hydro Flask water bottles come in four different sizes and can be customized with different lids, including twist caps and sipping spouts. They are stainless steel and BPA-free bottles with double wall vacuum insulation, which keeps drinks cold for 24 hours and hot for up to 12 hours. The high-quality materials make Hydro Flask bottles very durable for everything from everyday use to hiking adventures. The bottle is completely dishwasher safe as well. Look at some of the different sizes and colors on Amazon** or on the Hydro Flask website.
5. The W&P Porter Insulated Bottle offers double wall vacuum insulation, which keeps drinks hot for 12 hours and cold for 24 hours. The bottle is made using a stainless steel frame and a ceramic finish, which gives it a nice simplistic look. Its wide bottle opening is great for those like iced drinks. The bottle is completely dishwasher safe and comes in 12 ounce, 16 ounce and 20 ounce sizes. You can find it on Amazon** or on wandp.com.
6. The Yeti Rambler Water Bottle is a durable and minimalistic stainless steel water bottle that comes in a variety of sizes and colors that you can check out on Amazon** or the Yeti website and offers several leak-proof cap options as well, including straw caps and twist-offs. The vacuum insulation works for both hot and cold drinks and will not produce condensation. The entire bottle is dishwasher safe.
Best Glass Water Bottle
7. The Takeya Sure-Grip Glass Water Bottle is an excellent glass 22 ounce water bottle with a shell coating which makes for easy use. The bottle has a straw sip lid as well as a handle for holding. When the straw is folded down, the bottle is leak-proof as well. The entire bottle is odor-free, stain-free, taste-neutral and dishwasher safe. It’s also super cute. Check it out on Amazon** or on takeyausa.com.
8. The Ello Syndicate Water Bottle is a 20 ounce water bottle made from BPA-free, odorless, stainless and durable glass. The one-touch flip lid makes it easy to drink from and the silicone protective sleeve prevents damage. The entire bottle is dishwasher safe. Check out the variety of colors on Amazon** or on elloproducts.com.
Apart from the durable and reusable bottling solutions listed here, there are other fascinating options to get our hydration on the go: What Is an Edible Water Bottle and How Can I Make One?
Best Stainless Steel Water Bottle
9. The Contigo Autoseal Water Bottle is a stainless steal bottle with a leak-proof lid. The cap includes a spout cover to prevent spills, as well as a convenient carrying loop. This bottle keeps drinks cold for up to 24 hours and hot for up to six hours with its double wall vacuum insulation. It’s perfect for everyday activities as well as working out and running errands, as it is made for one-handed carrying. Check it out on Amazon** or on their website mycontigo.com.
10. The Owala FreeSip Vacuum Water Bottle offers a unique dual straw and chug cap which is totally spill-proof and easy to drink from. The lid is also dishwasher safe. The bottle itself is stainless steel and keeps drinks cold for up to 24 hours. The wide opening allows for ample ice. The bottle is BPA- and phthalate-free, very stylish and convenient. It’s only meant for cold drinks, however. It’s available here on Amazon** or on owalalife.com.
The Owala FreeSip is one of the best stainless steal water bottles.
Best Everyday Water Bottle
11. Purist water bottles are beautiful, minimalistic water bottles made from surgical grade stainless steel with an interior glass finish which keeps your drink fresh and delicious. They are double wall vacuum insulated to keep drinks hot for 12 hours and cold for 24 hours. These bottles have an easy-carry, stylish loop and are totally leak-proof, making them great for everyday use.
12. S’well stainless steel water bottles are easy-use tapered water bottles with twist off caps. They keep drinks cold for 48 hours and hot for 24 hours without producing any condensation due to the triple wall vacuum. S’well bottles are made to be both convenient and stylish. The tapered style makes them easy to carry around, and they come in loads of aesthetic colors and designs. These bottles are relatively narrow so they’ll likely fit in your car’s cupholder as well as your larger handbags. They have small openings as well, making them easy to drink from when on the go. Check Amazon** or their website for your favorite color and size.
S’well water bottles come in many sizes and colors.
Thirsty? Try one of our three homemade electrolyte drink recipes to get you hydrated.
- Homemade Gatorade: Sports Drink with Natural Ingredients
- 6 Vegan and Vegetarian Athletes in the US
- 8 Yoga Alternatives With Similar Benefits
Do you like this post?