Brazilian flan is creamy and sweet, with a caramel topping and custard center. This tasty, cold dessert can be shared at parties or served in individual portions.
Flan is a favorite Brazilian dessert to be served at parties or during the holidays. There are only four simple ingredients — sugar, milk, condensed milk, and eggs. Vegans can enjoy Brazilian flan too by using coconut milk, agar agar powder, and cornstarch. Agar agar is derived from red algae and when mixed with water has a similar texture to Jello-O. You can find agar agar powder at most Asian food stores.
When Brazilian flan is turned out onto a plate, it has a delicious, sweet caramel topping that will ooze down the sides of the flan, so it can be served as it is. For extra flavor, add a dollop of vegan cream, cool whip, or fresh fruit. If not consumed immediately store lightly covered in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Let’s dive in and learn how to make delicious and easy Brazilian flan.
How to Make Brazilian Flan
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- ¾ cup + 2 tbsp. milk
- 1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
- In a small pot, melt the sugar on low heat, and stir constantly. After ten minutes it will look like syrup.
- Transfer the melted sugar to a round baking dish and ensure it coats the sides of the dish. Allow the mixture to cool.
- Blend the egg yolks for five minutes in a blender before adding the milk, egg whites, and condensed milk and blend until well combined.
- Pour the egg mixture over the sugar mixture and cover it with aluminum foil — make sure you recycle it afterward.
- Place a damp kitchen towel on the bottom of a roasting pan and then put the baking dish on top of the towel and put it in the oven. Pour boiling water into the baking dish until it is half full. Heat the oven to 350℉.
- Bake for fifty minutes, the center will still be soft and wobbly.
- Allow to cool then turn out onto a plate and refrigerate before serving.
Delicious Vegan Brazilian Flan Recipe
- 1 tbsp. water
- 4 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. agar agar powder
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 2 13.5 oz cans full-fat coconut milk
- Add the water, half a teaspoon of vanilla extract, sugar, and a quarter of a teaspoon of salt in a medium-sized pot and warm on low-medium heat for three minutes, stirring constantly. Pour evenly between four ramekins or coffee cups (3 to four inches in diameter and two to three inches deep). Set aside.
- Wash and dry the medium pot and then add the cornstarch, agar agar powder, the remaining salt, maple syrup, and the remaining vanilla extract and whisk until smooth. Pour in the coconut milk and whisk quickly until well combined.
- Warm the pot on high heat. Whisk constantly until the mixture starts to boil, for around five minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and continue to whisk for two minutes. The mixture will be thick, but still runny.
- Pour into the ramekins, over the sugar mixture and allow to cool for five to ten minutes and then refrigerate for three hours.
- To serve, run a knife around the edge of the ramekins and turn it out onto a small plate, or eat directly from the ramekin.
- Easy Homemade Gelatin-Free Marshmallow Recipe
- Vegan Sticky Toffee Pudding Recipe
- 4 Delicious Coconut Milk Desserts
Do you like this post?