Homemade vegan black bean burgers are much better than any store-bought version, and they’re easy to make. We’ll share our favorite method, plus two other delicious homemade vegan burger recipes.
Vegan Black Bean Burger with Walnuts
This vegan black bean burger recipe is sure to hit the spot. For four homemade vegan burgers, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 3 tbsps flaxseeds (+3 tbsps water)
- 1½ cup cooked black beans
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Garlic and chili powder to taste (optional)
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup chopped mushrooms
- Half a red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Mix the flaxseeds with the water and set aside for several minutes, until the mixture obtains a gel-like consistency. This will serve as your vegan egg substitute.
- In a blender, combine one cup of cooked beans with oats, spices, and salt. Purée together into a paste.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan. Sweat the diced onions until translucent, then add the chopped mushrooms. Sauté for about three minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flaxseed mixture, bean-spice paste, sautéed vegetables, chopped walnuts, and leftover beans. Mix together into a dough.
- Divide the dough evenly into four sections and form your burger patties.
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and fry the patties for about five minutes on each side.
- Serve your homemade vegan black bean burgers with all your favorite toppings.
Vegan Burger Recipe: Sweet Potato Burgers
If you’ve already made black bean burgers more times than you can count and are searching for something different, look no more. These vegan sweet potato burgers are exactly what you’re craving.
For six homemade vegan burgers, you’ll need:
- One large sweet potato, or two medium sweet potatoes (about 500 grams)
- 1½ cup cooked chickpeas
- Half a red onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tbsp flaxseed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Peel the sweet potato and cut into cubes. Roast in the oven at 400°F for about 20-30 minutes, or until soft.
- Mash the cooked sweet potato cubes into a purée.
- Using a food processor, finely chop the chickpeas, onion, and garlic together. The mixture should still be chunky, not finely puréed.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chickpea mixture with the mashed sweet potatoes and knead into a dough.
- Divide the dough into six parts and form the burger patties.
- Arrange the homemade vegan burger patties onto a baking sheet lined with baking paper and bake at 350°F for 35-45 minutes, turning them halfway through.
Homemade Vegan Tofu Burgers
Another delicious alternative to vegan black bean burgers is the tofu burger. Tofu itself may not have much of a taste, but it absorbs other flavors well, making the spice mix in this vegan burger recipe especially important. Feel free to get creative and tailor it to your own taste.
Ingredients for six homemade vegan burger patties:
- One block of firm tofu
- 2 red onions
- 1 red pepper
- 2-3 tbsps oil
- ¾ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp mustard
- 1-3 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp carob flour (if you don’t have this ingredient on hand, you can also use regular flour)
- 1-2 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Pat the tofu dry with a paper towel until as much liquid as possible is removed. Using a fork or your fingers, crumble into a bowl.
- Dice the red pepper and onions and sauté in a pan for five to seven minutes.
- Add the sautéed vegetables and all remaining ingredients to the crumbled tofu. Knead the mixture together into a dough.
- Divide the dough into six parts and form burger patties.
- Fry the patties in a pan for about five minutes on each side.
This article has been translated from German to English by Christie Sacco. You can read the original version here: Vegane Burger: Leckere Rezepte für pflanzliche Pattiesaffiliate links: If you buy here, you actively support Utopia.org because we get a small portion of the proceeds.
Do you like this post?