Winter is slowly coming to an end, and you may be wondering how to store sweaters over the warmer months. Here are a few simple methods to use in your space.
To maximize your home storage, it makes sense to pack away items only needed during certain times of the year. Sweaters are a classic example. Unless you live in an area that doesn’t get hot in the summer, bulkier knits should be stored away to make room for your summer clothes. We’ll explain how to store sweaters in two different ways.
How to Store Sweaters in a Closet
Though closets are a great place to get clothing out of the way, you shouldn’t automatically reach for your hangers when storing sweaters. The best way to store sweaters in your closet is to fold them. This ensures that the materials don’t stretch out and leave your sweaters in undesirable shapes. You can store them in a closet organizer (available from Granny Says on Amazon**) if you don’t have a drawer or shelf space.
If you don’t have space for folding and storing sweaters in your closet, you can use hangers — but not in the ways you think. What you’ll actually want to do is fold your sweaters onto the hangers. Follow these steps:
- Fold the sweater in half and lay a hanger over it, with the hook poking out by the armpit crease.
- Fold the body and the sleeves of the sweater over the hanger.
This approach allows you to hang sweaters without stretching the fabric and maintains the material’s integrity.
How to Store Sweaters in Bins
When storing sweaters in boxes or bins, everything should be cleaned beforehand. That includes both the storage container and the sweaters themselves. Then you’ll want to flat-fold everything, line the bottom of the airtight container with the heavier sweaters, and pack the lighter ones on top. It’s also a good idea to place a few cedar balls (available from the Homode store on Amazon**) in the container for freshness and to deter insects like moths.
If you do end up with moths in your bins or closet, our DIY Moth Repellent can help get rid of them naturally.
Tips and Tricks for Storing Sweaters
Now that you know how to store sweaters in the closet and boxes or bins, you should learn how to prepare them for storage. Here are some tips for optimal storage:
- Wash them and allow them to dry completely before folding and storing them.
- Choose a cool, dry location for storage, regardless of if they’re in a box, bin or hanging in a closet.
- If storing in a basement or attic with higher moisture levels, you may want to add a few silica gel packets to keep them dry.
- Use a fabric box (available from Fab Totes Store on Amazon**) or an airtight container.
- Don’t store clothing in cardboard boxes or plastic bags, as they trap moisture and let critters and insects in easily.
- Avoid vacuum-sealed bags when storing for extended periods, as the lack of air can affect your clothing.
- Check on your sweaters periodically to ensure they’re still in good shape.
- Not Always Moths: 7 Reasons There Are Holes in Your Clothes and How to Fix It
- Washing Clothes with Vinegar: Benefits of Adding Vinegar to Laundry
- Minimalist Wardrobe: Closet Clearing Tips and Tricks
Do you like this post?