Vegan dan dan noodles are the perfect combination of smoky flavor and spicy kick. Learn how to make the vegan version of this all-time favorite Chinese recipe.
Originally from the region of Sichuan, dan dan noodles are a very famous and well-loved Chinese noodle dish. They are one of the most traditional street foods in Sichuan, and they are often eaten as a small snack. However, it is also common to eat them as a main dish in Asian restaurants around the world.
The regular dan dan noodle recipe consists of boiled egg noodles served with a spicy and smoky broth, topped with crispy pork, and garnished with green onions or peanut flakes, which means it’s not an option if you follow a vegan or vegetarian diet. So, if you want to shake up your vegan meal repertoire, you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we’ll show you how to make vegan dan dan noodles to spice up your taste buds and impress all your guests.
Ingredients for Vegan Dan Dan Noodles
This vegan dan dan noodles recipe will yield about six servings and it will take you 35 minutes to prepare.
For the dan dan sauce:
- ⅓ cup Chinese sesame paste
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, cut very thin
- 2 tbsp agave syrup or another vegan honey alternative
- ½ tsp grounded Sichuan peppercorns (previously toasted)
For the vegan pork substitute topping:
- 1 block extra firm organic tofu (broken down into crumbles)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp smoked paprika powder
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 2 tbsp cooking wine
- ½ tbsp minced ginger
- 2 green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup Sichuan mustard greens (Su Mi Ya Cai)
For the noodles:
- 14 oz vegan dan dan noodles
- ⅓ cup roasted peanuts, crushed
- A batch of bok choy to your tasting (you can add as much as you like)
- Chili oil, to taste (not mandatory)
How to Make Vegan Dan Dan Noodles
In order to get that iconic flavour, there is a bit of work that is involved. Here are the step by step instructions to help you create a delicious dish.
Start with the sauce:
- In a bowl, whisk the sesame paste and the soy sauce until fully combined.
- Add the garlic, green onions, vegan honey alternative, and Sichuan peppercorns, and mix.
Prepare the pork substitute:
- In another bowl, add the tofu crumbles, soy sauce, smoked paprika, garlic powder, minced ginger, and black pepper, and mix until fully combined.
- In a large skillet, add the peanut oil and the tofu mixture and cook at medium heat. Stir regularly and cook until the tofu crumbles are lightly browned.
- Add the cooking wine, minced ginger, green onions, and Sichuan mustard greens and cook until the tofu achieves a dark brown color.
Prepare the noodles:
- Boil your vegan dan dan noodles. Follow the specific instructions from the package, as they will vary depending on which noodles you get.
- Blanch the bok choy in the same noodle water and drain them.
Prepare the vegan dan dan noodle bowl:
- Add ¼ of a cup of noodle sauce to every bowl.
- Add a serving of noodles on top of the sauce and some chili oil, to your taste. Top it with a serving of vegan pork substitute and add the bok choy.
- Garnish with peanut crumbles and green onions and serve!
- 3 Easy Methods for Drying Chili Peppers
- Vegan Mantou Recipe: How to Make Chinese Steamed Buns
- Vegan Chop Suey: Recipe With Stir-Fried Veggies
Do you like this post?