Nettle soup is a great way to use up large quantities of the edible weed. With our vegan stinging nettle soup recipe, you can easily make this healthy and delicious dish yourself.
There are plenty of healthy nutrients in stinging nettles. In addition to minerals like iron, magnesium and potassium, it is especially rich in vitamin C. The green herb also contains many health-promoting secondary plant compounds, such as chlorophyll. That’s why stinging nettles are considered a regional superfood.
Before making nettle soup, you’ll need to collect the leaves. When collecting stinging nettles, protect yourself from skin irritations by wearing thick gardening gloves. It’s worth noting that you should only use the upper (five) pairs of leaves — in the lower part of the plant, the nitrogen content is too high. Additionally, make sure to collect only in rural areas away from the hustle and bustle of the city.
Stinging Nettle Soup Recipe
For our simple stinging nettle soup recipe, you’ll need plenty of nettles and just a few other ingredients.
- 4 packed cups of nettle leaves
- 1 onion
- 3 – 4 potatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 liter of vegetable broth
- ½ leek stalk
- salt & pepper
- cooking oil for sautéing
When possible, use organic ingredients for your nettle soup, as they are better both for your health and for the environment. This recipe consists of ingredients that are often available from local farmer’s markets, meaning you can avoid buying produce that has been transported across long distances.
- Scrub the potatoes under water and cut them into small cubes.
- Peel and dice both the onion and garlic.
- Heat oil in a pot and fry the onion briefly.
- Add the diced potatoes and the garlic. Continue frying until the onions are translucent.
- Deglaze everything with the vegetable stock.
- Let everything simmer for about ten minutes. In the meantime, wash and chop the nettle leaves and cut the leeks into rings.
- Add the chopped nettle leaves and the leek. Let everything simmer until the potatoes are soft.
- Using a stick blender, puree the soup until a nice creamy consistency is reached.
- Season the nettle soup with salt, pepper, and grated nutmeg.
Stinging Nettle Soup Recipe Variations
- Fry some chopped ginger with the onions to give the stinging nettle soup a slight spiciness.
- For a fresher flavor, add a few squirts of lemon juice at the very end.
- Fresh herbs also go well with nettle soup: garnish with parsley or basil.
- Depending on your tastes, freshly ground coriander, cumin and/or paprika powder make a great addition to this stinging nettle recipe.
- For an extra smooth and creamy nettle soup, add some organic cream. You can also use a vegan cream substitute.
This article has been translated by Karen Stankiewicz. You can find the original here: Brennnesselsuppe: Ein gesundes Rezeptaffiliate links: If you buy here, you actively support Utopia.org because we get a small portion of the proceeds.
Do you like this post?